News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Help with signalling tutorial needed

Started by zook2, December 15, 2017, 11:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zook2

I'm trying to put together a simple tutorial map for mentally challenged newbies (e.g. me) on which all the various signalling methods are demonstrated.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/SignalTutorial.rar

But I'm failing at even the most simple tasks. I've read the description and watched the video again, yet I can't even set up a one-train-staff branch line. Once the driver of the yellow loco gets the bloody staff, he never puts it back in the bloody box. He just reserves every bit of track as if he owned the bloody railroad.

I've tried every combination I can think of, but nothing seems to help. A bigger brain is already on my Christmas wish-list; in the meantime, can somebody help me out?

zook2

In the updated file above, I set up a track using time signalling. Guess what, it doesn't work. I'm a bit out of my depth.

Ves

Looking in the savegame, I see what you mean by the buggy one train staff. Firstly, both staffs have to have the direction towards the line they want to protect, but I see that it is indeed keeping reservations wrongly and looking overall messy. That would need a bug report.

I have made some example tracks with the methods available for the era, so you can see how they are supposed to look. I also made another version of the roundabout sighting distance testtrack, but with some obstacles as well to help demonstrate.

The testracks:
* One train staff cabinet, multiple trains
* One train staff cabinet, single train
* Time interval, double track
* Time interval with telegraph, single track
* Sighting distance demo, circle

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/SignalTutorial_Ves.sve

jamespetts

I note what appears to be a bug report, but I am afraid that I cannot download the corresponding saved game. Zook2 - can you post a bug report in the development forum together with a full description of the bug and a saved game in which the issue can reliably be reproduced?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

zook2

Sorry, I've fixed the link now. Not sure if it is a bug, or what it even ought to look like. Reservations seem wrong on both tracks, though. Sometimes a single tile in stations gets reserved (the interval demo track). Sometimes two trains leave the same station, with track ahead of them being reserved by the second train, preventing both from proceeding. It might all be due to my signalling being set up the wrong way, or removing and adding signals.

jamespetts

Thank you for uploading that. The single tile in the station being reserved seems like a bug, and I will look into this. However, the one train staff appears to be operating correctly. The reason that it treats both sections alternately as being one train staff segments is because there are no signals (or end of signalling signs) on the large loop. If you place an end of signalling sign immediately beyond the one train staff cabinet leaving the loop (which is facing in the wrong direction: both of the one train staff cabinets need to face the opposite direction to that in which they currently face), the loop will run as drive by sight, whereas the terminus station will be signalled as one train staff.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

I think that I have now fixed the bug with the inappropriate tile reservations: the fix is now on my Github repository, and should be available to-morrow morning as a nightly build.