News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Paper wagons set

Started by vilvoh, March 24, 2009, 07:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Somebody requested some paper wagons and here they are. Well, it's just a preview but they're almost finished.. ;D

The set consist of 8 wagons. 4 small ones with a capacity of 2 paper rolls and another four ones with a capacity of 3 paper rolls.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Lmallet

colonyan

Wow, are they really 64? Seems larger. Beautiful.

-rain
haha good point

Alex. Brose

Quote from: colonyan on March 24, 2009, 10:48:47 PM
Wow, are they really 64? Seems larger. Beautiful.
You're right. They are bigger. But this graphic is only for presentation. ;)
You don't have to put the wagons under the microscope.

vilvoh

True..It's just a preview in pak128 scale. Anyway, the large ones (second row) will have a length equal to 8. If I remember correctly, the usual length is 6 so they'll be longer than the average.

Lodovico

Quote from: vilvoh on March 24, 2009, 07:23:57 PM
Somebody requested some paper wagons

I asked for some small ones, because, as I tested when playing in the 19th century, available cars/wagons are too heavy and slow.
Thanks a lot and, please, put the first  - red - one somewhere in the period 1860-1910 or so.

vilvoh

The minimun operative period I've planned for each wagon is about 20-25 years, so the set may cover from 1850 to 2050. Small ones at the begining and long ones at the end, or mixed (small, long, then small again..)

BTw, Lodovico, If you have more requests..just ask or create a new topic. I'm always open to new suggestions and ideas... ;D

Lodovico

Huh. I would have a look at my conclusions from NiNiWania (link from <-eng.wiki).
From the end of the last year I have no time to work on ST  :-\
My second sail remains unfinished ...

So, NiNIwania says:
- a locomotive for a period 1850 - 1870. Desired power: 50 - 200 kW, desired cost 1.5 - 2.5 ¢/km.,
- a passenger wagon for the same period,
- a bulk wagon for the time before 1870 ~ 10 tons, <0,5 ¢/km.,
- wagons for wood and steel lighter than actual ones.

vilvoh

Ok, I take note of those requests. I'll start gathering some photographs.

vilvoh

Finished..I hope you like them. I'll post a screenshot later.

colonyan

They look fantastic! So much variety and good balance too.

railfan727

How about a set of modern 50-foot hi-cube boxcars for rolled paper?  20 to 24 rolls capacity, per car...

vilvoh

Sure, why not...do you have any image of them?

railfan727

Something like this, perhaps...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bn/bn286027amh.jpg

I really don't need a whole bunch of different roadnames (and even a blank generic car would be fine with me)... what I'm after is just having a way to move enough paper at one time to make a profit, and be able to keep up with the paper mill's output!  The paper cars that are available only hold 8 rolls each, and the train fills up and pulls out, and next thing I know, I have 200 rolls sitting on the dock with nowhere to go!  And I end up having to run a massive fleet of trains just to keep up with the output.  Currently, I only move paper by truck (using Japanese trucks with a capacity of 23 rolls apiece) regardless of the distance because it's the only way I can make money with it.

I'm not sure what the capacity of these cars is in real life in terms of numbers of rolls (they're about 5600 cubic feet or so), but for the purposes of the sim, I'd like it to be somewhere between 20 and 24 rolls, with an operating cost of 2.00 per km or less.

And, by the way, unlike the other cars you did before, these cars are fully enclosed.  The roof has a pattern of shallow transverse ribs across it...

vilvoh

That's one of the "problems" of paper industry chain. If you want to make profit, you have to move huge amounts of goods, and even in that case, the margins are really tight. Ok, then... I'll try to create several extra-large wagons (two or three)

skreyola

I was wondering today why paper isn't a crate good.
I'm looking forward to a larger capacity paper wagon. :)
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

vilvoh

railfan727

I've only seen paper shipped in boxcars, never in gondolas.  A gondola like what you're showing there would typically be used for coil steel, scrap metal, pipe, and things of that sort.  I don't think too many printing companies would appreciate receiving a load of soggy paper after a rainstorm...

How about a boxcar like that Burlington Northern car that I showed the photo of?

Lmallet

Quote from: railfan727 on October 18, 2010, 08:55:53 PM
I've only seen paper shipped in boxcars, never in gondolas.  A gondola like what you're showing there would typically be used for coil steel, scrap metal, pipe, and things of that sort.  I don't think too many printing companies would appreciate receiving a load of soggy paper after a rainstorm...
I agree.  Woodchips can go in an open top car (which is used to make paper), but the paper itself needs to be kept out of the weather.

Quote from: skreyola on October 18, 2010, 03:49:58 PM
I was wondering today why paper isn't a crate good.
I can only vouch for North American practice, where paper mills require "clean" boxcars, which is usually a challenge for railroads who would rather not have to clean them.  This is why many railroads dedicate a number of boxcars exclusively for paper service (can sometimes be recognized by different colour doors, or will have a "For Paper Service" stencil on it).  This could explain the need to separate paper from goods in Simutrans.  

That being said, I like the KISS rule, a boxcar is a boxcar.

vilvoh

Well, we have several design options. The easiest one is the close boxlike car, as the model is really simple and I just need color liveries. The open box design is not very realistic but we could add some kind of plastic cover, over the paper rolls, in order to protect them from the bad weather. I say this because one of the good things of wagons is that you can create empty and full versions of the vehicle, but if we choose the close version, both versions will have the same image and I'd love to show the paper rolls inside the wagon when it's full.

vilvoh

The Dapol Monsterbox paper wagons XL set is ready for downloading! consist of two extra-large wagons of 22 and 24 units of capacity, as was requested.

greenling

Super a New modell for Simutrans.
vilvoh you get a star in the hall of fame from simutrans.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

skreyola

--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

vilvoh

I've reuploaded the set of xl wagons, as I forgot to put the right values for the length attribute. Please, download them again... ;D

greenling

vilvoh
thank´s  for the info.

greenling
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Timo-210

Hi vilvoh, could you upload the DATs? I'd like to tweak the "Monsterboxes" a bit.
Thanks!

greenling

Timo-210
You must wait unit vilvoh said yes.

vilvoh

Quote from: Timo-210 on October 04, 2012, 04:17:16 PM
Hi vilvoh, could you upload the DATs? I'd like to tweak the "Monsterboxes" a bit.
Thanks!

Sure, I'll try to find the original dat files in my HD.

greenling

Vilvoh
excuse me but can you look after all Pngs and dats they be have make?
I want with you over those Pngs and dats talk.