News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Population grows but no buildings in town

Started by accord2, December 20, 2017, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

Hi, I have this problem. My cities keep getting more population but no new buildings are built )except in towns that already had buildings at game's beginning. Help?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

DrSuperGood

Is this a recent problem with nightly Simutrans? or is it happening with the last stable release?

Generally such behaviour is expected if the city area rectangle has expanded in such a way that it covers a lot of unbuildable area. The city will only expand its area rectangle if it is past a city building density factor. If the terrain is highly unbuildable, eg an L shaped island, then it might not be able to achieve this density factor and so the city will stop expanding its area. In such a case once all buildings have been built that it can for its current area population can keep growing but no new buildings will be made.

A sign of this happening is a city which has homeless people and is comprised entirely of maximum density housing. If one removes the obstructions it usually expands very quickly until there are no homeless people. Do be aware that ways, stops, runways etc all count as unbuildable land to a town so surrounding a city with rail can also prevent it from expanding.

accord2

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 20, 2017, 07:08:40 PM
Is this a recent problem with nightly Simutrans? or is it happening with the last stable release?

Generally such behaviour is expected if the city area rectangle has expanded in such a way that it covers a lot of unbuildable area. The city will only expand its area rectangle if it is past a city building density factor. If the terrain is highly unbuildable, eg an L shaped island, then it might not be able to achieve this density factor and so the city will stop expanding its area. In such a case once all buildings have been built that it can for its current area population can keep growing but no new buildings will be made.

This is happening in the steam version. I know that about obstructions, the weird thing is that these towns are in flat land with no obstructions. I have been using the game editor to add buildings, I waited 30 years and the said towns had not one building, yet population kept growing.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

Leartin

You are probably in a desert, and there are simply no buildings available for that climate. Use the climate tools and change the ground to something green.