News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Landscape Settings

Started by Leartin, December 28, 2017, 01:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

I'd like to mention some strangeness going on in the landscape settings. Not sure if it's a bug, a missing feature, or something else - but I think some work needs to be done, and I haven't seen it mentioned lately.

1) There are two settings - the Landscape Settings Dialog and the Landscape Settings in the Settings Dialog. Both contain largely the same settings, but only the Landscape Settings Dialog got translations (except for "lake"). Furthermore, changing the setting in one dialog does not change it in the other.
Example: Both are open. I change the water level in the Landscape Dialog from -6 to -12, close it and open it again - still -12. Now I close it, close the Settings window as well, open Landscape Dialog - back to -6. I don't even know what happens if both are open with different values and I start a game. Perhaps it would be best to retire the old "landscape settings" dialog?

2) In the past, no matter which water level you used, climates settings were in relation to the water level. Not anymore. This causes problems: In the Landscape Settings, the lowest value you can use is -5, completely independent from the water level - so with really low water level, you will always have some layers of desert. It's trickier in the other dialog - there, the lowest value is the value of the water level at the time you open the dialog. This means you have to open it, set the water level, then close it and open it again to set the climates properly.

There is probably more - feel free to add.

gauthier

When I started my current main game, I wanted islands and noticed that water level's max value is quite low.