News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

"Game Info" ('n' key) -- mouse detaches, game hangs

Started by hymie, January 15, 2018, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hymie

Greetings.

I'm playing Simutrans 120.2.2 on Linux with (I think) pak64, but I'm not sure how to tell which pak I'm using.

While playing a game recently, I hit the "n" key.  That is supposed to bring up a "game info" of some kind.  After hitting the 'n' key, my game paused and my mouse detached from my Simutrans window.  I could not figure out how to re-attach my mouse to the Simutrans window, and my only option was to forcibly quit the game.

This is repeatable -- it happens every time I hit the 'n' key.

Please let me know what other information I can provide.

--hymie!

ROCAMBOLER529

try to dont open the game info using the "N" key, its can be broken!! If you want to enter to the game info... open the Options´s game/press "New game" buttom and them press "Load game" buttom, this steps must take you to the game info.

Quote from: hymie on January 15, 2018, 03:55:44 PM
I'm playing Simutrans 120.2.2 on Linux with (I think) pak64, but I'm not sure how to tell which pak I'm using.

Doesnt matter the pak, all the paksets have the same funcion for "N" or "n"
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

DrSuperGood

The N (shift+n) key works fine and brings up help in pak64. The n key works fine and brings up the multiplayer connection window. Tested with nightly GDI build self made using MSVC.

The problem is that the multiplayer listing servers are down so the game application hangs (unresponsive) until the TCP connection times out, which can be up to 30 seconds depending on network stack. If the game was designed with threading in mind it would query the listing servers asynchronously, preventing the game from hanging, however this is not likely to happen soon as multi threading is still only optional during builds. If the listing server is not down and you have a decent internet connection it should hang for at most 1 second.

hymie

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 16, 2018, 12:44:20 AM
The N (shift+n) key works fine and brings up help in pak64. The n key works fine and brings up the multiplayer connection window. Tested with nightly GDI build self made using MSVC.

The problem is that the multiplayer listing servers are down so the game application hangs (unresponsive) until the TCP connection times out, which can be up to 30 seconds depending on network stack. If the game was designed with threading in mind it would query the listing servers asynchronously, preventing the game from hanging, however this is not likely to happen soon as multi threading is still only optional during builds. If the listing server is not down and you have a decent internet connection it should hang for at most 1 second.

Thanks for the info.  You're right, it is now working better.

Quote from: ROCAMBOLER529 on January 16, 2018, 12:29:48 AM
try to dont open the game info using the "N" key, its can be broken!!

I didn't try to do anything.  I hit the 'n' key by mistake when I was trying to hit the 'm' key.

If a key is known to be broken, then it needs to be fixed, not simply avoided.

DrSuperGood

As far as I know no keys are "broken". The n key causing a freeze is a technical limitation with how networking works, it freezes Simutrans until it connects to the listing server or times out trying which can take many seconds.

prissi

Not Simutrans hangs, Windows suspends scheduling of Simutrans until timeout. But the listserver was restarted, so you should again the windows in a decent amount of time. (But maybe this windows really should not have a key binding in the first place, since it is only needed to connect to a new game when starting simutrans.)

Ters

Triggering blocking remote calls to an unreliable server on some "random" normal key doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I find it annoying as it is that any unmapped key brings up the help window, which freezes up Simutrans for a second or two the first time.