News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Will cities spawn with time?

Started by norolim, January 20, 2018, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norolim

Using pak64, I generated a map with 10 cities but moved back the start date to 1400. The map generated with only 2 cities. Does that mean the other cities will appear with time or is the city/business number constant?

AP

I've never encountered a city spawning automatically in an established game, I don't think they can - although a (very rich) player can establish new ones manually for a cost.

I'm unsure about the graphics pakset you are using, but I'm not sure if any go back as early as the year 1400. Pak-GB starts at 1750, for example, and most that I've encountered have a 19th and 20th century focus. Most people run maps from 1750 / 1830 type dates onwards.

gauthier

No, cities don't spawn, they can only grow larger. As Norolim said, you can place them manually.

Ters

The number of cities is one of the parameters when creating a new map. You can use the public player to fine-tune the map without draining your company of much needed cash.

pak64 should in theory be playable from somewhere around 1400, however there are two things that make it unplayable in practice. One is that there isn't much diversity. The only factory chain available is for planks (with a very anachronistic end consumer). The next chain becomes available in 1610. In addition, you can transport passengers and mail. The other drawback, which is the biggest one, is that the vehicles are slow and low capacity, but the transport market is as busy as always. You will clog down the roads with animal drawn vehicles and still not be able to keep up with demand. I would not recommend starting before 1900.

norolim

Thanks for your help. BTW, what chain becomes available in 1610. I generated a few maps in 1620 and didn't find anything except the wood-planks chain. Is there anywhere I can check when individual chains are introduced in pak64?

Ters

pak64 has a food "add-on" that has a flour and fish chain from 1610. I don't know if this add-on is included in the regular downloads or as a separate download, as I build everything from the source.

norolim

Sorry for being a noob, but i don't seem to be able to find the add-on you mentioned. The Pak64 Add-ons and Graphics section doesn't have it. is there a specific place for add-ons?

R1dO

It's in the release announcement of the latest simutrans version: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=16909.0

Look for: pak64 food chain