News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Bug: Buffer overflow when opening ship details window

Started by ACarlotti, January 27, 2018, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACarlotti

For some ships, when attempting to open the convoy details windows, the game crashes, with the following error printed to the terminal:
*** buffer overflow detected ***: /home/#########/simutrans-extended terminated

I've noticed it happening on my game reliably for over a (real-world) month, for Humber Keels (Pass.+Mail), and I think it happens for the Brig as well. I just tested it on the demo map, and the details window for the diesel barge near Melchester opened fine, but when I tried opening the details for the Seine Nette, it crashed again. Perhaps it only happens to ocean-going ships? Or at least ones that aren't currently in canals. I could test this more, but it often takes around 5 minutes to start up Simutrans, so I am reluctant to run too many tests.

I'm currently running build 6b120e9, but as I said before it's been an issue for me since mid December. I'm running 64-bit Arch Linux.

I am reminded of this previously reported bug, although that crashed a slightly different point so may well be unrelated:
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17609.0

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Can you upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced when opening the details window of a specific ship?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ACarlotti

It happens on opening the details window of the fishing vessel in the demo.sve included in pak128.britain, which hasn't changed in several months. It'll also be an issue in the other save game I sent you. As far as I can tell, it's an issue with all vessels not requiring a waterway, in any save game, although I don't have a particuloarly large sample to test this.

jamespetts

Thank you for this - I think that I have managed to fix this now, which fix should be available in the next nightly build. I should be grateful if you could confirm whether this indeed has been fixed.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ACarlotti

It's fixed now.

(I see the issue was with 'tall' ships, or perhaps tall vehicles generally, as well as tilting trains.)

jamespetts