News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Translation of "way constraint permissive/prohibitive"

Started by Phystam, February 12, 2018, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phystam

Hello, James and everyone!

I'm progressing the translation of Simutrans-Extended for Japanese, but I faced on the translation difficulty in "way constraint permissive/prohibitive".
Originally they described as "Prohibitive %i", but there are no way-type informations. If it is defined in more than 2 way-types, the translation will be conflict.
In order to separate the translation for each way-type, I added a way-type information like "Prohibitive %i-%i", the former number shows the way-type and latter number shows the constraint number.
This might help us in the translation!
The branch is here: https://github.com/Phystam/simutrans-extended/tree/way_constraint_translation

Note: This modification affects only its translation, not its behaviour.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your work on this and the Japanese translation: both are much appreciated. (I should be grateful if you could let me know when you have completed the Japanese translation so that I can update the default translation texts in the distributed version).

As to this change, I can see that it would be of benefit to have different way constraint texts for each waytype; but the trouble is that this would break all existing translations. Do other translators or users of non-English versions (as I can easily correct the English translation texts in Pak128.Britain-Ex) or other pakset maintainers have any views about this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Phystam

Yes, I concerned about re-translations of it. Fortunately of unfortunately, official Japanese translations have not done yet (however, personal translation will be affected but I think that it is out of our support.)
I do not know about the circumstances of the other languages, such as German.

Dear translators, can you accept this modification about "way-constraint" translations?

jamespetts

Yes, I should be very grateful to hear from any other translators on this issue.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Phystam

There are no responses in this topic, and on another board about translation, also no responses.
Is it accepted or not?
James, can you decide to incorporate this patch or not?

Ves

I don't consider myself a translator in that sense, but I guess I at some point in the future will do some Swedish translations and so far I can tell, it seems to be fine.

But I have one question:
Aren't the constraints already "sorted" by waytype?
I mean, if you only use "constrain 1" for rail electric overhead, and "constrain 2" for way electric overhead, they would never get mixed so you could translate them the way you want. Or am I missing something?

Phystam

Thanks, Ves.
I will explain why I introduced this patch.
Potentially, these categories of constraints can be used for all waytype. All of the constraints are determined by a pakset director.
Example:

There are mainly 3 gauges in Japan: Standard, 3ft. 6in., 4ft. 6in.
So, we assigned them into Permissive 0, 1, 2 respectively.
And we have 5 types of electric catenary: high DC voltage, low DC voltage, high AC voltage, low AC voltage and third rail.
So, we assigned theem into Prohibitive 0,1,2,3,4 respectively.
Finally, remained categories are Permissive 3-7 and Prohibitive 5-7. We must share them by road, water, air, monorail and maglev.
There are so many different types of monorail (and new transportation system) we have, and also we have to distinguish the water canal width...
-> Exceeded!

This difficulty can be solved with waytype description, like "Prohibitive 2-2".

jamespetts

Thank you for your feedback/work: that is most helpful. Given the amount of time that has passed for consultation with no objections, I have now incorporated this into the master branch, and also updated Pak128.Britain-Ex to use these new translations properly. I have further incremented the minor version number to 13.4 to make clear to pakset authors which version requires the new translation strings.

Note that all paksets that use way constraints will need to update all way constraint translations to work with this new system.

Phystam

Thank you for your incorporation!

For further translation information:
the waytype number is listed in simtypes.h, as

invalid_wt = -1,
ignore_wt = 0,
road_wt = 1,
track_wt = 2,
water_wt = 3,
overheadlines_wt = 4,
monorail_wt = 5,
maglev_wt = 6,
tram_wt = 7,
narrowgauge_wt = 8,
air_wt = 16,
noise_barrier_wt = 17,
powerline_wt = 128,
any_wt = 255

jamespetts

Vladki

The english translation for new waytype specific constraints is not complete.

It show fine for boats in the depot, but not in tooltips for canals.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report - this was due to inconsistent handling of the translated texts, containing an erroneous space before the translation. I have removed this and the translation appears now to operate correctly.

Vladki

How do I get new translation files? They do not seem to be updated on github...

jamespetts

The change was not in the translation files, but in the code.

Vladki

Then it is not complete - the tooltips from the toolbar sitll show generic "Prohibitive 5" etc.

Phystam

Thank you, Vladki. I fixed the bug just now.
James, I sent you the pull-request --- please find it.

jamespetts

Thank you for that - most helpful. Now incorporated.

Vladki

Sorry to bug you again, it seems to be on more places - now the plain canal tooltips are ok, but canal tunnel and bridges need the same fix too

jamespetts

Thank you - now fixed, I think: I should be grateful if you could re-test.

Vladki

Seems to be OK now. I have checked also the tramway rail and tube tunnel, all seem to be OK.

Thank you