News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Bug: Public ways owned by public player cannot be upgraded.

Started by DrSuperGood, February 20, 2018, 10:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

There seems to be an inconsistency when it comes to public way ownership. They default to being unowned (NULL) player when originally created. However if the owner goes in solvent they are transferred to the public player (not NULL). For some reason one cannot modify ways owned by the public player in Simutrans Experimental like one can in Standard.

My suggestion would be to make all ways owned by the public player since "NULL" ownership is kind of silly. However one could also make in solvent company ways revert to NULL ownership rather than the public player.

I ran into some of these when building my rail network on the experimental server. Wanted to replace one tile for a bridge but apparently I do not have permission.

EDIT: Maybe these were made by public player rather than from an insolvent company? In any case they become a hazard as they cannot be modified and I see no reason why that should be the case.

jamespetts

The code already does provide that liquidated players' ways transfer to NULL ownership. The ways that you see in public ownership were built manually by the public player. It is not a bug that they cannot be altered by other players: these are roads owned by the public player, and as such cannot be altered except by the public player, just as with any other player. There is a difference between a road actually owned by the state and a privately owned public right of way.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Maybe the public player needs a tool to build public ways rather than ways it owns. Seems a reasonable feature for adding or fixing roads that the player companies should be able to modify.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 21, 2018, 01:31:02 AM
Maybe the public player needs a tool to build public ways rather than ways it owns and does nothing with.

That is an interesting idea if by "public ways", you mean ways that it does not own but that are treated as public rights of way.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ACarlotti

Are you suggesting that players should be able to make roads that other players are allowed to subsequently modify? For example, if I upgrade the road between two cities, that shouldn't prevent another player upgrading the road further? I think a good solution to this (without encountering the issues of abandonding responsibility of rights of way, on which I know you disagree) would be to separate the concepts of 'owner' and 'maintainer', and allow players to designate a road as having a (NULL) owner, or maybe even a different player owner.

This could then provide a mechanism for transferring ways between players. If player A wants to transfer a road and its costs to player B, then player A sets the owner to player B, and player B then sets the maintainer to player B. However, this doesn't immediately allow for player B to pay player A for the road.

jamespetts

What I had understood that Dr. Supergood had suggested was that the public player (and only the public player) should be able to create roads that can be modified by other players (i.e., have the same status as the current privately owned/unowned public rights of way).

This should not be exploitable, as the roads would start as being built by the public player and thus the players would have no way of divesting themselves of their own maintenance costs.

Such a tool would be relatively simple in principle to implement, although it would involve a fair bit of tedious (but conceptually simple) work of the sort that accompanies implementing any new tool.