News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Steam Edition: Unable to Save Game and other Quirk

Started by RailLord, March 10, 2018, 03:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailLord

Howdy folks, RailLord here.

Recently, I've gotten back into Simutrans after quite the hiatus. As so, I found it in the Steam platform. Thought that was very nice of whoever decided to put it on there. However, I've been running into some quirks. One of these quirks is on saving. Apparently, it's impossible for me to save my game. The error message that shows up states as follows:
"Cannot open target file for writing!"
Saving doesn't work at all. Writing over old files and even attempting to create new ones just result in the same pop-up. I've checked through the file browser, and what you know? No .sve file. This is an error that I've been running into on the weekly/nightly build (120.2.3 Nightly - r8354M + pak64 120.2 r1872). I can confirm that loading a previously-saved game does work. I believe I can safely assume that I'll run into the same problem with the other Steam paks. I've even attempted to save with the latest and greatest stable from the main website (non-Steam, that is), and even then, saving doesn't work. I'd greatly grateful for any help with this problem.

The other quirk that I currently have is on scripting. I've read the message on Steam about the 120.2 release and I wonder how one can go about scripting for Simutrans, which includes the AI (which in all honesty is rather dumb). Does one require an editor such as Notepad++ or Microsoft Visual to develop scripts? As well, if one would type up or reference a tutorial for Simutrans scripting, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

prissi

I would suggest to use the regular Simutrans from the nightly side for scripting, since scripting is still evolving fast. Scripts requires only an editor. You can find a little more information in the "scription screnario and AI" section of the forum further down. There is also a simple AI as a script, called "ai_base.nut" in the simutrans "script" folder. It can give you and idea, how a script would look like.

The language is squirrel, but uses data structures, which are acting on simutrans objects. There is a complete documetnation of the API at http://dwachs.github.io/simutrans-sqapi-doc/

RailLord

Thanks for the info, prissi.

Either way, found out that my anti-virus was causing my inability to save. Got it to allow the game to save and whatnot.