News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

My first add-on

Started by MasterJedi1996, March 17, 2018, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterJedi1996

Russian Locomotive Class D

Its an early steam locomotive from the days of the Russian Empire in use from 1856 to 1906. I appreciate any feedback.
obj=vehicle
name=Russian Locomotive Class D
copyright=Masterjedi1996
waytype=track
speed=90
cost=1000
runningcost=100
power=2200
gear=100
engine_type=steam
weight=55
length=8
intro_year=1856
intro_month=1
retire_year=1906
retire_month=12

gauthier

The quality is quite good for a first addon, nice work ! In my opinion, the biggest problem here is that your loc is all dark grey. Is there any part of the loc that you could "paint" in another color ? Like player color or a lighter metal color for instance ?

MasterJedi1996

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how to make it player color but if anyone has any ideas on how to make it so, I will certainly give it a shot

Vladki

Quote from: MasterJedi1996 on March 18, 2018, 03:10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how to make it player color but if anyone has any ideas on how to make it so, I will certainly give it a shot

Here you can find about all special (not only player) colors: https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_SpecialColors

MasterJedi1996

Thanks Vladki. Once I finish the tender I will work on changing the color

Lieven

Nice work !

I think that just a small player color line will really improve it ;)
Europeans addons in project:

Too much ! ;-)

MasterJedi1996

Thanks for the tip Lieven

MasterJedi1996

Here is the updated version of the Class D with player color. If anyone has any problems I would like any suggestions

MasterJedi1996

Finally, here is the tender for the Class D. I will be moving on to American locomotives

gauthier

Many things to fix here.

_ The loc is badly placed on some views (it appears slightly off the tracks). You can use a template to place your sprites exactly at the right place.
_ The tender is a little far from the loc on some views, using a template for the tender too should fix this.
_ I think it's obvious but I want to be sure: you don't have adjusted information in .dat files yet ? (costs, speed, power, constraints, etc...)

Graphically: in my opinion the line of player color does not look great at all on your graphics. Moreover, on SE view, you drew the line on only one side. You should try other solutions to make your graphics less grey. Take inspiration from other locs in pak128 or from photos. For instance, when I search "russian locomotive class D" I find that many locs have their wheels painted in red.

You will find a template and other information on my tutorial here, or on the wiki.

MasterJedi1996

I can give you the .dat files for both the loco itself and the tender but I want to move on to other ventures. So if you want you can pick up the baton and finish it yourself but I want to move on.

MasterJedi1996

I understand the tender is off. But should I change the image or .dat file?

gauthier

Graphics can be moved by either modifying the image (the clean way to do it here) or by using offsets in the .dat file (should not be used for an image misplacement).

MasterJedi1996

Thanks for your help gauthier.