News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Wrong graphic on new PC

Started by svex87, March 27, 2018, 09:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svex87

Hello

I have some trouble with the graphic after copying the game folder to my new PC. If a change the land, for example if i raise it up, the colour of the land loos different like it looks before. On the attached image your can see the colour diffrences. What can I do to? My wish is to have the same colouring like before.

Thanks in advance
Sv

prissi

THat is because apparently the climate broder changed (you may have loaded a very old map into a new game). You can go to the alter land tool and there. In pak192 comic theis is the tool before the truck tab. Then use the tool resembling the lake on a grass area and drag it over.

Leartin

This isn't pak192.comic, it's pak96.comic. The latest release, 0.4.10, is too old to contain climate tools.

Are the climate settings rewriteable? If the landscape settings dialog is opened and the values changed to those the map had before, could it be fixed this way?

svex87

Its right, its pak96.comic the last release. I build a bigger map years ago and always working on it. I do not really know how I can change the climate settings for the existing game. I tried to change it for the new  game but nothing changes. But could it be also a problem, because my new PC has another graphics card? It looks very strange if a change the land...
Thank in adavance

Leartin

No, it has nothing to do with your graphic card.

Climates are dependent on height. This is so when you raise a mountain manually, it will have the same "rocky" terrain as if it was generated. That happens for you, too, but instead of changing to the climate the map already had at a certain height, it changes to a different climate. This would indicate that somehow the settings which climate go on which height got messed up, so I asked prissi and more code-savvy people here if that could be changed, and how.

The buggy look on your second screens is due to a side effect. Each tile which displayed more than one climate got a graphic dependent on which corner was which climate. But in that case, there are no corners of the second climate. Since there were no mixed-climate-graphics where all corners belonged to the same climate, the result is a graphical glitch. Since climates were reworked, in a recent Simutrans version with a recent pakset, this probably wouldn't happen.

Which Simutrans Version do you use? Did you reinstall the version you had on your old PC, or a newer one? If you updated, perhaps the issue could be resolved by using the older version again. (if you have a backup of the map from before you used it in a newer version)

prissi

One could also save the map as an older version before climates, then modify the climate settings, and then load it again. Then one can use the newer features, but with the correct climates. An easier solution could be another texture pak, with the same texture for all climates. Here is the png image for the textures. You just need a file like climatetexture.dat with the following content

Obj=ground
Name=ClimateTexture
# water
Image[0][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.0
# beach/desert
Image[1][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.1
# tropic
#Image[2][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.2
Image[4][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.4
# mediterran
#Image[3][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.3
# temperate grass
# tundra
#Image[5][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.5
# rocky/barren
#Image[6][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.6
Image[6][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.4
# snow
Image[7][0]=PAK96CLIMATETEXTURES.0.7

THis one you compile with the makeobj matching the SImutrans version you use. I atteached on with only temperate grass. If you prefer other ground, you can change the numbers.

svex87

Thanks for your reply. Please allow me to switch to German language, because its to difficult for me to understand what i exactly have to do:

Wenn ich soweit richtig verstanden habe, liegt die Ursache für die grafischen Fehler darin, dass die neueren Versionen von simutrans Klima-Einstellungen nutzen. Mein Spiel bzw. meine Karte so alt ist, dass diese noch keine Klima-Einstellungen unterstützt. Mit dem Wechseln auf meinen neuen PC habe ich unter Windows wie auch unter Linux simutrans neu installiert und die meine gespeicherten Spielstände herüber kopiert. Anschliessend meinen alten PC formatiert und abgegeben. Deswegen kann ich nicht nach vollziehen, welche Einstellungen ich damals bei Spielaufbau genutzt hatte. Dummerweise hatte ich nicht damit gerechnet, dass ich noch weitere Dateien benötige.

Was ich bzgl. der oben genannten Lösung leider nicht verstehe, ist die Tatsache wie ich vorgehen muss, den Code zu komplilieren und dann wohin zu kopieren. ich bin da leider ein wenig überfordert....

prissi

SInce this is the english forum, I have to reply in ENglish. You can come over the the german one ... https://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/

But you need to make a folder in ~/simutrans/addons with the name "pak96.comic". In this folder you copy the above pak file and load with addons.

Leartin

Quote from: svex87 on April 16, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
Wenn ich soweit richtig verstanden habe, liegt die Ursache für die grafischen Fehler darin, dass die neueren Versionen von simutrans Klima-Einstellungen nutzen. Mein Spiel bzw. meine Karte so alt ist, dass diese noch keine Klima-Einstellungen unterstützt. Mit dem Wechseln auf meinen neuen PC habe ich unter Windows wie auch unter Linux simutrans neu installiert und die meine gespeicherten Spielstände herüber kopiert. Anschliessend meinen alten PC formatiert und abgegeben. Deswegen kann ich nicht nach vollziehen, welche Einstellungen ich damals bei Spielaufbau genutzt hatte. Dummerweise hatte ich nicht damit gerechnet, dass ich noch weitere Dateien benötige.

Was ich bzgl. der oben genannten Lösung leider nicht verstehe, ist die Tatsache wie ich vorgehen muss, den Code zu komplilieren und dann wohin zu kopieren. ich bin da leider ein wenig überfordert....

Translation, for completions sake (Unless it's one of the language board, each post needs to be in english or contain at least a rough translation):
"If I understood correctly, the cause of the issue is that the newer Simutrans versions use climate settings. My game/map is so old that climate settings are not supported. Switching to my new PC, I installed a fresh Simutrans on Windows and Linux and just copied the savegame. My old PC was formatted and given away, hence I can't retrace which settings I was using. Unfortunately I did not expect to need more data.
What I don't understand about the above solution is how I need to compile the code and where to copy it to. I'm a bit overwhelmed"

---

Einfach die ground.ClimateTexture.pak von prissi in einen Addonfolder geben (muss manuell erstellt werden, in Windows zB. unter User/Documents/simutrans/addons/pak96.comic - dort, wo auch Spielstände gespeichert werden) oder, Holzhammermethode, direkt im Pakset ersetzen (nicht empfohlen). Damit ist alles grün (außer Wasser, Wüste und Winter). - Beim starten mit Addons laden, Schaltfläche links der Paksetauswahl.

Copy prissis ground.ClimateTexture.pak in the addons folder (manually created, for windows it's in User/Documents/simutrans/addons/pak96.comic - same place as the savegames) or, recklessly, replace it directly in the pakset (not recommended). Everything will be green (except water, sand and snow). - You need to load the pakset with the "Load with addons" button that appears left of the paksets name.

Frank

Quote from: prissi on April 17, 2018, 03:55:34 AM
SInce this is the english forum, I have to reply in ENglish. You can come over the the german one ... https://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/

moved to de-subforum  ;)

[en] Instead of tinkering around on the set you can also use the version that was used before. [/en]

[de] Statt am Set rum zu basteln kannst auch wieder die Version benutzen die vorher benutzt wurde. [/de]