News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Time interval choose signal reserves one tile beyond itself

Started by Rollmaterial, March 31, 2018, 11:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

A train approaching the distant signal of a time interval choose signal protecting a fully occupied station will reserve the first tile beyond the choose signal. This can be observed at Elsfont station on the Bridgewater-Brunel server.

DrSuperGood

Can confirm. This bug has cost me several hundred thousand in refunds.

What appears happening is it reserves one or more tile in front of the choose signal instead of the tile the choose signal is on. Until fixed one must place choose signals 2+ tile back from the first junction tile.

It might be the result of a convoy at a platform choose signal making an emergency stop from behind.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Are either of you able to upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced at a specific place and time?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

Here is one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N-LfKFs2AM1xLjuUg9jnz3k7S0Kb-_Gz/view?usp=sharing
The convoy approaching Elsfont should reserve the first tile beyond the choose signal when it sees the auxiliary signal.

DrSuperGood

I have seen convoys reserve up to 2 tiles in front of a timed interval choose signal. Until this is fixed it is recommended you leave the appropriate space in front.

Rollmaterial

DrSuperGood

The choose signals are just plain old broken at the moment. My trains constantly ignore them/get stuck at them/drive through them into occupied platforms. This has occurred 5 times so far since I started using them, each time causing thousands of passengers to be stranded. On the server I have not been able to expand my rail network because I have had to spend hours fixing trains at platform choose signals...

So far my theories are...
  • Timed interval trains hitting each other at a platform choose signal. They bug out with reservations or pass through the signal then after.
  • Trains waiting at the signal pass through or bug out with reservations on map reload.

To try and combat this am removing the auxiliary signal and using drive by sight before instead.

jamespetts

Dr. Supergood - is this the same issue? If not, it would be better to post the report in a separate thread with its own replication instructions.

Rollmaterial - I have the file, thank you.

Edit: I think that I have now fixed this. I should be grateful if anyone could confirm whether this specific bug as originally reported is fixed. (For any other issues, even similar issues, please start a new thread, as it makes it much harder to manage bug reports if there is more than one discrete issue per thread).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

Seems partly fixed in latest nightly.

Still choose signals are failing to work and directing trains into occupied platforms. This is happening a lot on the server game but I cannot recreate it on a test map for some reason.

EDIT: Totally unusable now for terminals with trains entering towards the right of the screen. The trains completely ignore the choose signal and try to drive into occupied platforms. I have had to revert these stations to drive through on the server because I was always blocking up.

EDIT2: A common factor with these terminals is that the approaching main line is subject to elevation change before the terminal junction.

jamespetts

Dr. Supergood - are you sure that this is the very same issue as that reported in the original post, viz. when one train is waiting at a time interval choose signal, in some cases, a train following from behind will reserve a tile or two ahead of the waiting train? If not, this will need to go into its own thread with its own reproduction case.

jamespetts

Given that Dr. Supergood's issue appears to be a separate bug which, if it still exists, would merit its own thread, I am archiving this thread as the original problem appears to have been fixed.