News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Bug: Drive by sight excessivly slow station pull-in logic.

Started by DrSuperGood, April 03, 2018, 08:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Trains using the drive by sight method will some times pull-in to stations excessively slowly. For example they will travel 3 tiles (375m) at what the game reports as 1km/h. Since the game probably reports any speed less than or equal to 1km/h, no matter how slow, as 1km/h this means it is traveling ludicrously slowly. These engines are capable of speeds of 80km/h easilly so accelerating to 20km/h is trivial. Happens when trains are operating in drive by sight mode queued to enter a drive through station.

This problem is so bad that it can cause line capacity problems as the trains spend a good part of 20-30 minutes just pulling into the station.

If one manually stops the train using the schedule window and immediately restart it without altering the schedule they have no problem accelerating to 13km/h+ and pulling into the station in well under a minute.

My theory is that it might have something to do with the breaking logic. A downwards elevation change occurs shortly before the station meaning that the trains will have to slow down more than usual to stop at the station on time. However due to the station platform being occupied they have to stop short of the station platform. When they resume to pull into the station they still have their breaks on full so move at the slowest speed possible, less than 1km/h. When one restarts the trains using their schedule window they use the remaining track to calculate breaking which has a much more reasonable acceleration and deceleration curve due to being flat allowing them to reach speeds of over 12km/h on the short distance before breaking to stop.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. Are you able to upload a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced at a specific place and time?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

This should be demonstrated on my map from my recent bug report about trains not stopping properly for choose signals.

jamespetts

Can I therefore check whether the fix to the above issue also serves to fix this? (It should be available in to-morrow's nightly build)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Seems like this is fixed for drive by sight as I do not see it happening anymore on the server game.

There is still another slow entry speed bug with timed interval that I will make a separate thread for.