News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Bug: Owned public ways can be renewed with downgrade.

Started by DrSuperGood, April 19, 2018, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Currently to prevent players from mangling public ways they are not allowed to downgrade public ways that they own to road types that are worse than the road type the road currently is. However according to the UI nothing stops a company from renewing a public way with a worse road type when it eventually comes time for renewal. Now I am not sure if this happens when it comes time for renewal, but according to the UI it will happen as it shows it is scheduled for renewal with the downgraded type.

It is about time public way upgrade logic is fixed to make more sense and be fairer. Companies should be allowed to upgrade public ways to any way type they want if the type's axel load and maximum speed are at least as good as the current public way road type. This also means that they can downgrade public ways back to the current public way type if they have previously upgraded them to a superior type which they no longer have use for. Additionally, companies are forced to renew public ways with a road type at least as good as the current public way type, in the case of the public way type changing to be better than the current way type.

In the long term there should be some tool to gift back to the public no longer used public ways owned by a company. This procedure is costly per km due to large legal fees and such ways will always be renewed with the current public way type. The large cost and forced eventual downgrade to public way type would prevent this tool from being exploited. The tools purpose is to save money in the extremely long term in the case a company changes service direction, eg from road services to trains. By using such tool the public ways are left open for other companies to take ownership over that might be more dependant on them.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report: I have now made the behaviour for delayed upgrades identical to the behaviour for immediate upgrades. The other issues have been discussed elsewhere and are not part of the bug report itself.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Existing company owned public ways are not exhibiting the automatic replacement with the current public way type if inferior. Not sure this is intentional or not.

There is a small bug where a public way with a superior way type scheduled for replacement with an inferior way type cannot be rescheduled for replacement with its current way type. However I am guessing this will only effect public ways which took advantage of the previous bug, since it should not be possible to get public ways into such a state anymore. Next to that everything appears to be working like the immediate upgrade logic.
QuoteThe other issues have been discussed elsewhere and are not part of the bug report itself.
They also were not dealt with.

jamespetts

I have now modified this so that, for company owned public rights of way, these will (if not in towns) upgrade to the latest inter city road type unless the current way has a better maximum speed or axle load or has no worse speed and axle load and lower maintenance cost, capital cost or a higher wear capacity.

However, I wonder whether this really is desirable - I should be grateful for any feedback on the question of whether players should be forced to upgrade ways in this fashion.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.