News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Simutrans 120.2.2 r8163 crashes on windows7 after around 15min of gameplay

Started by montag, April 20, 2018, 06:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montag

Hello

I try to play Simutrans on Windows 7 and regardless of a pakset (I tried PAK, PAK128 and PAK64 game freezes after some minutes of playing.

It looks always the same. I try to click but the screen does not react, then the cursor moves but displays the "waiting loop" and then I can do nothing. Ironically the music is still playing and game sounds are heard. It seems like just the interaction part is blocked. I tried some compatibilities mode but that does not seem to do anything.

Any of you had similar issue? Any possible solutions?

Thanks
m

prissi

Are you playing a very large map with lots of mountains or water? Possibly Simutrans wants to expand a factory and looks for a new location, but fails finally. The other thing could be a very long ship line.

Both issues should revert to normal after a minute or so.

Ters

I am a bit puzzled by the fact that the sounds keep playing. They are triggered by the same main game loop that does the drawing and the input processing, are they not?

prissi

I think sound can be also be a sync_step. Music will paly on its own until finished.

montag

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

To answer Prissi:
"Are you playing a very large map with lots of mountains or water? Possibly Simutrans wants to expand a factory and looks for a new location, but fails finally. The other thing could be a very long ship line."

Not really - I always play on a standard map with default settings. I was not creating any ship lines - it seems unrelated to what I do - the only thing that I suspect of being somehow related is clicking on map. I have notice that when I click on links on lists, sometimes it seems like the mousepointer is under the place that gets clicked. I played on a FullHD screen so I had a theory this causes the problem but it was the same on a normal laptop screen. The hanging seems to happen after a click - for example on the map. It may be a coincidence but still there is a pattern.

Any suggestions what settings should I try to make a test scenario?

Best Regards
M

DrSuperGood

Have you tried waiting a minute or so? Simutrans loads localized text on demand. This means that if you use a mechanical hard disk and that hard disk enters a low powered state (which laptops often do to save power) it will cause Simutrans to freeze for several seconds while the hard disk spins up to speed. Since the event handler thread is blocked waiting for disk IO, the OS might mark it as unresponsive and show the crash dialog.

montag

Yes, few times I waited quite long hoping that this is some lagging issue, but no results. It just "waits" for something, then the window gets this white tint of "not responding app" in Windows, and then I can only kill it from task manager.

But I will try to put something in the background that will engage disk resources and see if this changes something. Thanks!

Ters

Is Simutrans using the CPU while hanging, or just sitting idle?