News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Bug: Inconsistent/bugged way renewal change logic.

Started by DrSuperGood, April 23, 2018, 12:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Currently one cannot downgrade privately owned roads (not public ways) by scheduling them to be renewed with an inferior type. One cannot even change the renewal order on a road from a superior type to its current type. However being private roads one can demolish them freely and immediate renew them to any way type one wants, even mothballed if so desired.

For example the following should all be possible renewal orders for private roads. All involved road types can be assumed available for construction at the time.

• Cobblestone renew with Cobblestone -> renew with MacAdam (does not work currently, keeps trying to renew with Cobblestone)
  • MacAdam renew with Cobblestone -> renew with MacAdam (does not work currently, keeps trying to renew with Cobblestone)
  • MacAdam renew with MacAdam -> renew with Cobblestone (works)
I am guessing some public way logic has bled across and is effecting private roads.

jamespetts

If you wish to downgrade, you now need to hold down CTRL as well as SHIFT - this is more consistent with the UI for downgrading immediately, as the default is, without CTRL being held down, only to upgrade.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteIf you wish to downgrade, you now need to hold down CTRL as well as SHIFT - this is more consistent with the UI for downgrading immediately, as the default is, without CTRL being held down, only to upgrade.
Still bugged then...

Railway tracks can be both upgraded and downgraded from any rail type to any rail type by using shift alone.

Shift + Ctrl on roads will allow one to renew roads with downgraded road types, but not restore their renewal to their current type from a superior type. Like wise Shift alone will allow one to downgrade renewal orders from a superior type to any other superior type except the current way type. Hence if one chances renewal orders from their current way type it is impossible to set them back to the current way type.

Completely inconsistent between way types and with roads there clearly is a bug.

jamespetts

Thank you for the additional details - I will have to look into this inconsistency in more detail in due course. In the meantime, I should be grateful for people's views as to which behaviour to harmonise the behaviour - requiring CTRL+SHIFT for downgrading on renewal, or downgrading on renewal with SHIFT only despite requiring CTRL for immediate downgrading?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

May I ask whether anyone has any views on this user interface issue?

Matthew

I don't have strong views because I've never renewed any way yet. But there would seem to be some value in idiot-proofing the UI by forcing players to be specific if they want to downgrade a way by using CTRL+SHIFT. I would speculate that this is the less common choice.

To be honest, the more important thing IMHO is to make sure that the eventual choice is documented in the Keyboard Help, Mouse Help, and various way tool help pages, as they are currently silent on this matter.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Thank you for that suggestion: I have now updated the help text accordingly.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on May 05, 2018, 11:28:38 AM
Thank you for that suggestion: I have now updated the help text accordingly.

That's good news! I had no idea that downgrading was possible until I saw this bug report. This will be helpful to many players when Extended comes out of early access.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

jamespetts

I have now fixed two issues relating to the consistency of downgrading renewals on roads and railways - I should be grateful if anyone could re-test and confirm the fix.

Matthew

Downgrading appears to be set correctly, although I've not yet seen a road actually renewed to confirm that it takes effect correctly. Thank you for working on this.