News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

depot window too wide

Started by Vladki, April 24, 2018, 08:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I have noticed that the depot window is too wide (cca 1500 pixels), and cannot be resized to be smaller. I do not see any combo box with so wide content. I think a reasonable minimum should be below 1000 pixels.
Noticed in the savegame from https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,18115

jamespetts

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you write that it is too wide - for what is it too wide, may I ask?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

I have compared boat, road and rail depots. Only the boat depot (shipyard) is too wide. It occupies 3/4 of my screen (fullHD 1920x1080), and can't be resized to be smaller. The only way is to resize the game window to be smaller, and then open the shipyard. Then it will cover the whole window, but will stay if you resize the game window again. This would be very unpleasant if playing on smaller screen (like 1280x1024 which is imho still quite common.)

There must be something that makes the shipyard so wide, something that is not present in road/rail depot.

ACarlotti

Yeah, the thing making it that wide is a hardcoded minimum width. I spotted the issue months ago (sorry, never got round to reporting it), and happened upon the relevant bit of code a few weeks back. I believe this is caused by line 312 in gui/components/gui_convoy_assembler.cc (although I'm not certain of this)
scr_coord gui_convoy_assembler_t::get_grid(waytype_t wt)
{
if (wt==water_wt) {
return scr_coord(60,46);
}
if (wt==air_wt) {
return scr_coord(36,36);
}
return scr_coord(24,24);
}

I'm not sure why those numbers were chosen, but this code is unchanged since 2009 (or earlier).

jamespetts

This does appear to be the code - thank you for locating it. This must have been deliberate as a result, perhaps, of the larger size of ships - does anyone have a view on whether it is better to retain this (or perhaps, have the same size as for aircraft which, on preliminary testing, seems to work acceptably)?

I should note that ships in Pak128.Britain are slightly smaller than they were in 2009 after a rescaling exercise to make the scales more consistent some years ago.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

The window should be resizeable, and should be around the same area as other depot windows even if fewer ships are shown per line. I do not like the current over sized ship depot window, it should be the same size as other depot windows with fewer ships per line.

Matthew

The problem with the large window is that you then have to move it out of the way before you can schedule anything, because it more than fills my screen (1368x768). This is a tiny, tiny, first world problem.  :::) But smaller would be better than the current size for me, since you have asked.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you both. I have now modified the size to be consistent with the air depot size.