News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Horses can swim ;)

Started by Vladki, April 24, 2018, 09:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Another funny bug seen in the game referenced here https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,18115
Boat horses have resrtiction MUST USE: WATERWAY, but they can pass across lakes... Look at the Hovport-wendburgh-elmenton bulk barges, or Howport-wendburgh paper barges, crossing howport pool.

Matthew

I also laughed when I first saw that. But it's not a bug, it's a feature! In real life the horses would be able to use a towpath around the edge of the millpond. I really think that Mr Petts has better things to do than write a pathfinding algorithm that makes the horses follow the edge of small lakes. So for our purposes, it's quite adequate to assume that Simuhorses are good at wading along underwater banks....  ;D
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

I think that it would be difficult to distinguish between lakes and rivers in this way: virtually all and possibly actually all boats that can travel on rivers can also travel on lakes. As Matthew notes, horses would be able to pull boats around the banks of lakes. It would be a lot of work to code for horses actually to do this, and would make only a very minor improvement in gameplay, so this does not seem to be a priority issue at present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ACarlotti

If it helps, you could imagine that the lakes are shallow or contain submerged towpaths, as the River Cam does.

(The submerged towpath in the Cam was created because the colleges wouldn't allow a normal towpath to be built on the edge of the river along the Backs.)

Vladki

As long as there is a distinction between lakes and open sea, I agree on leaving it as is.