News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Unclear logic for building 'one way sign' on tram track

Started by Matthew, May 02, 2018, 02:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I cannot understand the logic concerning when you can and cannot build one way signs on tram tracks. It's probably me being stupid, but it might be a bug.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open the save provided.
2. If necessary, switch to Thanet Tramway.
3. Go to the town of Swinlow and find the tramway next to the cricket club, (95, 423) to (99, 429).
4. Attempt to place a one way sign from the Railway tools menu on every one of the tiles on that track. Some tiles will allow you to place a one way sign; others will not. There does not seem any significant difference between the two sets of tiles in terms of direction, ownership, public right of way, adjacency to buildings or adjacency to junctions. Does anyone know of something else that affects whether such signs can be built?

This has become more important with the new signalling systems, because I don't know any way to reliably build single-track passing places without one-way signs, and demolishing large parts of towns to create tram double-track seems inconsistent with the wider goals of Simutrans-Ex.

It might help you to know that the .dat file entry is line 4948 (search for "#one way sign") and the code that calls this error message begins at lines 5304 and 5737 in simtool.cc (search for "Hier kann"). I couldn't find anything obviously wrong in the code, but that's mainly because I can't read C++.

I did notice that the one-way sign for roads is not buildable until 1909. Do trams respect such signs? If so, would moving the availability of the sign earlier, to the date that trams became available (1860, according to DrSuperGood's helpful spreadsheet), be a workaround?

This occurs running the nightlies from 1 May on Windows 7, Simutrans-64 with Pakset 128.Britain-Ex.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Junna

I think it is junctions that you are not allowed to build the one-way signs on (road junctions, too), I have noticed it occasionally being a bit weird. A good way to make double track tramways is to make a loop (in the sense of one-way circuit) or use two adjacent but separate streets in either direction, to avoid demolition. One usually won't need that many one-way signs then, and that way, no signals need to be used on the tramway whatsoever (they can use the drive by sigh the whole way).

Matthew

Junna, thank you for taking the time to reply. It isn't just junctions: there are tiles with only two adjacent road tiles that you can't build the signs on. The test co-ordinates have an example of this.

On the idea of using trams with drive-by-sight and no signals: from the help pages on signals, I thought that would lead to trams getting stuck. But I will test it on a new track and see if I can make it work. Thank you for the suggestion; changing my playstyle is a lot easier than changing the code!  ;D
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

jamespetts

Thank you for the report - this is indeed an error: the logic for placement conflated the question of whether the underlying road was a public right of way (placement of one way signs on which is restricted) and whether the tramway built on top of it is a public right of way (which it will not be unless built by the public player).

I have now fixed this, which fix should be available in to-morrow's nightly build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

James, that's an astonishingly quick response to a bug report; thank you. I hope you will enjoy building better tramways when the B-B game reaches that era!