News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Graphical Input for pak64

Started by colonyan, March 29, 2009, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I made some new houses for simutransians to live in.  ;D
I'm slowly learning to draw faster. I plan on make more coming month.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/2 residential.rar

Edit: is this how I'm supposed to paste link for files?
         Am I using right place to upload?

vilvoh

I like then, specially the second one. It's a very detailed work, congratulations!

In reference to the other issue, you can post a download link from an external host or attach the pak file zipped to the post.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

colonyan

Thanks for your attention! By the way 1st one took far more time. Gave good practice and experience though.
For uploading I'm still quite not sure but I will try.

Spike

VS

Wow, they look great! Okay, that was for the cheering part, and now debug mode on.

What are the black lines on first house? I guess what they should be, but then why black? It's no big deal, but with the background I have, I feel compelled to ask: is there a reason you made it so? I am simply curious why you chose black and not some other colour.

Overall, the first one looks to me slightly oversaturated in front and on ground. Although it is hard to judge just on blue background, all I can do is compare to the house to the right which I like more...

Maybe you'll want to make winter versions where needed. A house with great summer picture looks in winter like... well you know what :)

Anyway, these are just suggestions. These pictures are good right now - it's just that they might be even better.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

colonyan

@VS
Suggestion like you gave me is invaluable. I will try your suggestion.

For the first building with black line, there is a model house near where I live and they had
black accent to avoid too dull looking. I tried to imitate that...

VS

Please, don't call it invaluable :o

I asked about the black things because beginners often use extreme colours without much thinking. Good to know this isn't the case! :)

Of course lol @me, you put there download! So I tried them in game. Whatever the problems with first seemed to be, they are not there when it is surrounded by grass or other houses.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

colonyan

I wanted some highrise commercial office building in early in the game.
I was pretty amazed that some building in late 19centrury was quite modern looking.
I hope they make some place in your ST world.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/up2.rar

vilvoh

Very nice! What technique do you use to paint them? 3D modeling, pixel art or both?

colonyan

Painted dot by dot. 3d render tend to take more time. I have to give some fixing either way.
So I paint from first time. :)
Please feel free to use them for your own.

VS

Okay, heh, I guess thinking you were a beginner was BIG mistake!

Just one, really minor comment: you may wish to consider unified pavements. But I don't know if a pak64 standard pavement tile is available :(

colonyan

Somehow coordinating pavement must done.
I will work on that when I have sizable number of sets.

First time I did dot painting was from simcity 2000 urban renewal kit.
Haven't touch 10 years. Last whole weekend was back on track workout...

Strange, I enjoy painting more than playing now...

Edit: By the way, who's the pak64 maintainer? If person has request what kind of building is needed for
   more variation I might help.

VS

Quote from: colonyan on April 01, 2009, 12:43:19 PM
IMO active x passive :) Same reason why we enjoy playing Simu instead of watching TV...

For 64 the big boss would be Prissi.

vilvoh

Quote from: colonyan on April 01, 2009, 12:43:19 PM

Me too. Welcome to the Simutrans graphics development club... ;D

colonyan

One personal view on painting pixel building

At least in pak64, it is more important to give more definite character to building is more important to represent it realistically. Some degree of deformation is okay.
No stain or dirt but little variation in building texture. Some contrast and low saturation.