News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Timeinterval signals and absolute block signals

Started by Ves, May 13, 2018, 10:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

Hi James!

I believe I have captured an instance where timeinterval signals and absolute block signals dont work well together. There are multiple issues, which I believe are all interconnected.
In the following save you should only focus on the southgoing track on the line between "Aldinghall Terminal Station" and "Dulstead Corner Railway Station". Nothing else.

1) Firstly, there is some phantom reservations, which you will need to resolve first. Those are left behind trains, when you resolve their reservation. For instance the train in the view I had just resolved its reservation when the save was made. By resolving the phantom reservation, you trigger the train into a new reversing state, and a new small stretch of phantom reservation. You can completely resolve the phantom reservation by clicking on the newly made phantom reservation while the train is still reversing.

2) Locate convoy "(7965) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2", which is running on line "IC: Netstoke - Aldinghall". It is waiting in the "Aldinghall Terminal Station" when the game is loaded.
When it departs from Aldinghall, it will stop at the first signal it encounters at (3411,813), seemingly waiting for nothing.

3) Now locate the convoy "(7963) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2", which is on the line. When it approaches the signal at (3372,968), the absolute block section towards the station will get reserved. That should not be possible at all with time interval without telegraph

4) When "(7963)..." has passed the time interval signal, the "(7965)..." suddently gets released and starts driving, but it stops again at the signal at (3407,856).

5) When "(7963)..." has entered the station, the train that was behind "(6640)...." it now also gets released, reserving the stretch between the absolute block distant signal and first main signal.

6) Only when "(6640)..." exits the station, the "(7965)..." will start driving, reserving the absolute block path into the station.

https://github.com/VictorErik/saved-games/blob/56ca032061b7f929a830b3ca6466e3fdac1b2235/master/bug%20-%20time%20interval%20and%20absolute%20blocks.sve

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. I have downloaded the saved game, but I am unable to find any incorrect reservations. Can you let me know at what co-ordinates that these can be found? Also, are these separate bugs? If so, they should each have their own thread.

Incidentally, I have noticed on the server game that there are a number of backlogs caused by what appears to be a signalling bug in that a train waiting behind another train will reserve tiles ahead of it. It is not clear why this is occurring; do any of these reports deal with such a situation? If so, this will be the priority bug to fix as this seems to be causing considerable difficulties (including with your network) in the online game.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

I dont know if they are different bugs, or all related. My initial bugreport did not include the spurios reservations, but in order to get to that, one would have to resolve the other first. Feel free to chop the thread up in pieces if needed.
This savegame does not produce that case you are describing, unfortunately.
But I do believe that that issue is a result of combining absolute block with time interval

I will go through in a bit more detail and rearar
1) -
upon game startup, pause directly and locate "(7963) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2"" at location (3406,872).
Unpause the game.
You will see that there are two reserved tiles behind the train at location (3407,870) and (3407,869) which are still reserved.
Click on those two tiles with the block reserver tool and it goes away. At the same time the train goes into "reversing" mode for a couple of minutes. Immediately locate the train again.
Now, watch as the train continues to drive, there will be a similar stretch of two-three tiles which are still reserved.
This time, in order to prepare for the other bug report, click on those tiles, and locate the train again, and click on the new reserved tiles behind the train before the "reversed" counter has finished. That will resolve the issue for now.

2) -
Now you got the "(7963) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2" running, and cleared the reservations using above method, watch it as it appriaches the signal located at (3372,968).
When it appraches the signal it will create a reservation at at the tiles (3350,1013) to (3350,1025), which is between the distant signal of the next signalbox and the end of the station.

3) -
When the above points is done, continue with this:
Locate train "(6640) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2" (just left the station) and "(7965) LNWR Crewe type 2-2-2" (waiting for schedule at the station) and open their info windows.
You will note that, dependent on when you released the "(7963)..." that "(6640)..." is waiting behind the time interval signals.
The "(7965)..." will permanently wait at location (3410,823).

What I am noticing:
Trains attempts to reserve the tiles (3350,1013) to (3350,1025), which is between the distant signal of the next signalbox and the end of the station, from any of the time interval signals on the previous stretch.
If the station is occupied, though, it only reserves the stretch between the distant signal and the first main signal.¨
Sometimes the reservation is not made the entire platform length, and I have a suspiccion that this is what happens when a train from behind blocks with its reservation. I will try to run the savegame into this state, but that might take a while.

jamespetts

Thank you for the reports. I think that I have now fixed issue 1 (the problem with tiles remaining reserved - the reversing issue is more fundamental and difficult to fix and I believe originates in Standard).

Can I check which if any of the remaining issues remain with the next nightly build (and given the previous fix for the reserving beyond issue)?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

Thanks, for looking into it.

1) -
This still appears to happen. When you resolve the reservation behind the 7963, two new tiles of reservation is booked behind the train at its current location.

2) -
This too is happening.

3) -
Fixed!

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I have not had any success in reproducing no. 1. However, I think that I have now fixed no. 2 - I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.

jamespetts

Can anyone confirm whether either of these issues can still be reproduced?