News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

The Network Map is Magic!

Started by Matthew, May 20, 2018, 07:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." (Arthur C. Clarke)

For me, the Simutrans network map is magic! There are lots of good things in this game, but it never ceases to amaze me that I can build curvy, complicated routes and they get turned into a beautiful Beckesque diagram. I can never quite get my head around the maths behind it.

Thank you to all the developers who gave up the time to write the network map and to those who keep the game going so that it's still usable. The game would work perfectly well without it, but it really does add something special to the playing experience.  8)
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

ACarlotti

Just wondering: is this partly in response to the recent improvements in Extended (filtering by player, vehicle type and goods type)?

A little history, if you're interested: The network map began as an external tool (using Java) over 7 years ago by yorkeiser. Prissi then worked with yorkeiser to incoporate it into Simutrans, and it was released about 6 years ago. The filtering was added to Standard four years ago (by Ucho, with tweaks by Prissi), but was only ported to Extended last week.

prissi

There is very little magic behind it. We tried a lot then to make it appear nicer, but simple was almost the best. The only rules are:
not more than one 45° bend
continue with last direction, if possible

Matthew

Quote from: ACarlotti on May 20, 2018, 10:52:13 PM
Just wondering: is this partly in response to the recent improvements in Extended (filtering by player, vehicle type and goods type)?

I had not even noticed that. Thank you for making a good thing even better! I have filtered using the legend buttons, but being able to filter by player and vehicle type will be very helpful, since games can get so complex.

QuoteA little history, if you're interested: The network map began as an external tool (using Java) over 7 years ago by yorkeiser. Prissi then worked with yorkeiser to incoporate it into Simutrans, and it was released about 6 years ago. The filtering was added to Standard four years ago (by Ucho, with tweaks by Prissi), but was only ported to Extended last week.

Thank you for giving credit where credit is due. I have a vague memory of hearing about the external tool (I was a lurker for a long time before I joined this forum).
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。