The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Looking for a web developer / helpdesk staff member? Look no further!  (Read 349 times)

Offline Isaac.Eiland-Hall us

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • PanamaCityPC.com/support/
    • Facebook Profile
  • Languages: EN
http://isaac.eiland-hall.com/

http://panamacitypc.com/

I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the US for the right position. :)

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • Facebook Profile
I'm pleased to report that I will be starting my new job with InMotionHosting as of 16 July and moving to Virginia Beach, VA. :)

Offline Matthew

• Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
Congratulations! So you (and we) won't need to worry about hurricane warnings quite so much....

Offline An_dz

• Web Admin
  • Administrator
  • D'oh
    • by An_dz
  • Languages: pt, en, it, (de)
Congratulations Isaac, that's great (and a long ride from Florida).  All the best on your new job.

Congratulations! So you (and we) won't need to worry about hurricane warnings quite so much....
Haha, thought the same thing.

Offline Ters

• Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN, NO
Virginia Beach sounds cozy. (Looking up on map where that is.) More so than Norfolk at least. Mt. Trashmore? They sure have big diversity in names where you're going.

(and a long ride from Florida).
There are not many Western (or Central) European countries where it is possible to move that far without leaving the country (not counting oversea dependencies and whatnot). I'm from one of them. By American standards however, the distance is relatively short. I wonder how much of a cultural difference there is between Florida and Virginia. There would be going that far in Europe.

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • Facebook Profile
Congratulations
Congratulations!

Thank you! :)

So you (and we) won't need to worry about hurricane warnings quite so much...

Well… about that…

https://i.imgur.com/KgiIRk4.jpg

I'll be about 8 miles away from the Atlantic Ocean, so still vulnerable to tropical weather. But the good news is that any particular location only sees serious tropical weather rarely. For example, I've been in Panama City 15 years, and while we've had a few scares, the worst storm was Hurricane Ivan in 2004 (when we moved here), and that resulted in 50mph/80kph sustained winds for several hours (with higher gusts, mind, maybe 75mph/135kph). It was intimidating, but although some places locally lost power, we never did. Many tornadoes spawned by that storm - three locally - but again, nothing at my house.

But either way, the dataserver currently is Atlanta; and if I move my servers to my new employer (which is possible but not guaranteed), they'd be outside Washington D.C.. Either way, not readily susceptible to hurricanes. :)

Actually, a closer look at where I'll be:

https://i.imgur.com/2UkeV4Y.jpg

Yeah. hehe

Virginia Beach sounds cozy. (Looking up on map where that is.) More so than Norfolk at least

It's one metro area, so it's all good. I'm definitely happy enough from what I've seen so far of the area.

Frankly, though, give me shelter, a comfy seat, decent internet, and… I'm probably basically good to go. lol. Anything on top of that is gravy. :)

Mt. Trashmore? They sure have big diversity in names where you're going.

I've noticed that. lol. The name is the most amusing part - a landfill turned into a park. I've seen that done before, too. It's always nice. :)

By American standards however, the distance is relatively short.

This is very true. When I did my internship in Seattle a decade ago, it took five days to get there. I travelled Florida → Alabama → Mississippi → Louisiana → Texas → New Mexico → Arizona → California → Oregon → Washington (state), but my five days started/ended like this:

FL → TX
TX → TX
TX → CA
CA → CA
CA → WA

https://i.imgur.com/umnOv0K.png

It was more than ten hours each day of driving.

I've said this before about Texas, but:

1. The eastern border of Texas is closer to the Atlantic Ocean than it is to El Paso.
2. El Paso is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is to the eastern border of Texas.

If Texas was square, it would be huge. It's almost as far from the top of the Panhandle to Canada as it is to Brownsville - about 30 miles shorter within Texas. Mercator projection makes it look shorter than it actually is.

https://i.imgur.com/3ZTCAIN.png

I wonder how much of a cultural difference there is between Florida and Virginia. There would be going that far in Europe.

I'll find out for sure when I get there, but I'm hoping it's a little better than here. heh.

Here we have 2/3 Republican and 1/3 Democrat. There it's more 50/50. And that may be largely because the area is home to a LOT of military bases. Basically, if you want to go from Washington D.C. to the Atlantic Ocean, you pass through Chesapeake Bay, so it's an important area of the country.

It's a decently large metro area, thankfully. ~#40th largest in the US. Panama City is ~#250th, and it's just too small for my taste. I grew up in Dallas - DFW Metroplex is the 4th largest metro area in the US. So it'll be good to get back to a place where more stores exist. They have Aldi, for one. :) So many places I'm looking forward to being around again!

But the other way of looking at the culture is that while there are a lot of differences in various places, I feel also that most Americans are somewhat generally similar. Northern places are used to snow; various places have different weather; but really, I think we're pretty uniform in many ways. Which is good and bad. heh.

But yeah - compared to here, there's way more "ethnic" places to eat, and I can't wait to be able to afford to try them all. :)

Offline prissi

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Languages: De,EN,JP
I am late to join the congrats. And it is seaside location as well, just with real weather and not eternal summer ... Well done!

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • Facebook Profile
It's also slightly closer to the heart of Simutrans - Germany. :D

In fact, I just realized — I've been slowly moving that way. Dallas → Panama City → Virginia Beach. Maybe next decade I'll move UK → France → Germany? hehe

Offline An_dz

• Web Admin
  • Administrator
  • D'oh
    • by An_dz
  • Languages: pt, en, it, (de)
You skipped Canada, Greenland and Iceland. :P

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • Facebook Profile
Actually, that made me curious. I decided to measure distance using Google Maps for a true path:

https://i.imgur.com/zj4507b.png

So actually, looks like it'd be US → Canada → UK → Germany - that's to Berlin, which seems sensible. :)

Offline Ters

• Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN, NO
Re: Looking for a web developer / helpdesk staff member? Look no further!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »
Greenland would have made sense as a small deviation, had you not started with a bigger deviation via Florida and Virginia. Iceland only makes sense coming from California through North Dakota. In that case, the Faeroe Islands would also present itself as a stop along the way. As might Denmark, but as Greenland and the Faeroe Islands are (grumble) Danish, the route would be something like USA, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Denmark, (Denmark), Germany. Either way, it will involve more than one stopover in former viking territory now that I think of it.

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
    • Facebook Profile
I've got Vikings covered with Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows :)