News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Why are bridges not allowed to be built over deep water?

Started by fam621, May 29, 2018, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Hi James, I would like to ask why are bridges not allowed anymore to be built over deep water?

jamespetts

This applies only to some bridges, i.e. those not restricted in length. The bridges not restricted in length are those bridges which have frequent support pillars which could not be built in deep water. The bridges that are restricted in length do not have these pillars and can be built over deep water.

The purpose of this was to simulate the underlying economic realities that prevent the construction of trans-oceanic bridges, which had been constructed frequently in online games (obviating the need for sea and air transport) before this restriction was introduced.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

I really dont like this feature because I want to build bridges over rivers/water and I cant do so. Especially on a map that I am working on.

DrSuperGood

It has been suggested that pillar bridges and elevated ways have restrictions on the height of the pillars and maximum depth rather than not supporting deep water at all. This is more realistic, as modern pillar bridges can be considerably taller than old wooden or brick bridges and can have pillars placed considerably deeper. However this becomes another TODO feature.

Unfortunatly I would say that improving evelated ways to have separate ways from their type takes priority over this. Currently bridges have the separate ways but elevated ways still have the old are a way logic.

fam621

Well thanks for the info. Looks like I wont be able to extend my mainline. :(

jamespetts

Any substantial amendment to the code would require a very large amount of work, and, unless we get substantial additional coding personnel who prioritise this, will have to join a very long queue of features waiting for there to be no higher priority work to do. However, such amendments would have a relatively small effect on the overall position. It is realistic that one cannot build bridges of unlimited length over deep water. In reality, one would build tunnels.

So, this important feature does not prevent you from extending your main line: it means that you must build a tunnel instead of a bridge.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.