News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

"Terminal" way mode issue

Started by Ves, May 31, 2018, 11:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

What a great feature this patch is! Really looking forward to when we get some more road based equipment on the server :)

I noted one issue with the "Terminal" way mode:
Have a straight piece of twoway (default) waymode.
Now build a single roadtile next to the stretch and combine it into a T-section, and build a stop on that single tile.
Schedule a bunch of convoys to serve the stop.
Now, we realize that we accidentally built the stop tile with the two-way mode, and wants to change it to terminal mode.
The easiest way to do that, is to pick a roadtype to build, select "Terminal" and then due to minimym two roads can be dragged, drag the road over the stop as well as the crossing
This means that both the stop and the T-crossing now has "Terminal"
Now convoys will have troubble passing the T-crossing due to "NO ROUTE"

jamespetts

Interesting. I wonder whether it might be possible to alter the tool such that it will alter the status of a single tile on a double click?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Either that, or make sure that, for instance, the "terminal" type also works on crossings, which would be more failproof I guess, since you then can build an entire multiplatform terminal without having to change the mode constantly.

jamespetts

That might also work. I should note that the original text called this "halt mode", but it seemed particularly useful for terminals, which also seemed to be the clearer translation text; but it is possible that this may not be the best translation.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Phystam

I do not have the translation text, but I explain how do the halt mode work.
The mode is useful for making bus terminal, allows to stop 2 buses on the same tile.
So, I suggest calling the mode "Double stop".

Ves

I do indeed think "Terminal" is a very good translation, so I wouldn't change that. It is immediately clear what it is in my opinion.

wlindley

With latest self-compiled executable and Britain 128 Ex pak from github, all my attempts to create a terminal way merely result in wagons entering the tile and then immediately erroring with "No Route."  Is there actually a way to build these?

jamespetts

Can I check with THLeaderH whether this was indeed intended to be used in a terminal (i.e., a stop with a way leaving only one one side)? It would be extremely useful if it was, as this is something that I have wanted to see for a long time.

THLeaderH

Thank you for reporting the issue.
The halt mode, now it should be called Terminal mode, is intended to be used for a terminal.
Terminal mode is an extension of oneway mode, thus it is reasonable for convoy to find no route in a one-tile stop like the attached image. Terminal mode is intended to be used in a layout that convoy can go through, not make a turn on one tile. No convoy can make a turn on oneway or terminal mode. The reason of this restriction is explained here.

For the naming problem, I think terminal mode is more suitable than other name candidates. The name "Terminal Mode" clearly explains the mode is intended to be used for a bus terminal. However, as some people already misunderstood, the fact that the terminal mode is basically oneway is not well described. What is the best way to make players understand correctly about the terminal mode?

wlindley

The word "terminal" especially in rail context indicates a passenger station with stub-end (single-ended) tracks, as opposed to a through station.  Perhaps "Through Station Mode" or similar? Please do not use the word "terminal" to mean a through tile; that is terribly confusing.

jamespetts

Wlindley is correct - "terminal" tends to refer to single-ended stops. It is a shame that there is not a way of using this feature with single ended stops; however, another name will have to be found for this mode.

ACarlotti

I agree about the name change. However, for a similar feature with single ended stops I think you would need to adjust the code so that vehicles have to reverse out of the stop (thus blocking the tile behind for longer). Or I suppose reverse into the stop. Perhaps the same tool/mode could apply, but with slightly different behaviour depending on whether buses reverse into or out fo the stop (depending on direction), or carry on straight through.

jamespetts

Quote from: ACarlotti on June 01, 2018, 07:57:14 PM
I agree about the name change. However, for a similar feature with single ended stops I think you would need to adjust the code so that vehicles have to reverse out of the stop (thus blocking the tile behind for longer). Or I suppose reverse into the stop. Perhaps the same tool/mode could apply, but with slightly different behaviour depending on whether buses reverse into or out fo the stop (depending on direction), or carry on straight through.

This seems to be a sensible idea.

In the meantime, in any event, I have committed a change to the name from "Terminal mode" to "Parallel stop mode" to avoid confusion.