News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Classes in Pak.Sweden

Started by Ves, June 04, 2018, 12:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

So, I wanted to ask people on what opinion you might have about which classes should be included in Pak.Sweden.

There are in principle two questions to be answered:
1) - How many classes are needed, and
2) - What to call them.

1) Just because the british pakset uses five classes, doesnt mean that the swedish pakset should too.
You have at least three train classes, the expensive one being only for very rich people and the cheap one for workers. One could argue if there should be, either an even more expensive class, or even more cheap class, or if there should be put classes in between the three train classes.
What are your thoughts on this?

2) I have (as James probably remember  ;) ) always been a little bit reluctant of just calling the classes Low-High, and I want more descriptive names to them.
One way could be to actually call them 1st Class, 2nd Class etc.

1st Class
2nd Class
3rd Class

It could be built upon and we could have something like

Luxuary Class
1st Class
2nd Class
3rd Class

Another approach could be something like:

Luxuary Class
Fine Class
Normal Class
Cheap Class

I dont like names like "Tourist Class" since tourists wasnt really a thing before 20th century.

What are your thoughts on this?

Matthew

I hardly ever play in Pak.Sweden, but in my opinion
Quote1st Class
2nd Class
3rd Class
adds flavour to the game.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Junna

As far as I know historically the accommodation in Sweden was always first, second and third class-- I don't remember if at any time carrying passengers in open goods wagons as was done early on in the UK's railway history. As far as the price ranges-- should they not be 'pris' rather than class-accomodation specific, like "väldigt dyr" to "väldigt billig", would perhaps be more appropriate, since the prices are separate from the class-accomodation which factor more in the quality and service level of the seats more than the cost-as-such.

Ves

Quote from: Junna on June 04, 2018, 09:35:38 AM
As far as I know historically the accommodation in Sweden was always first, second and third class-- I don't remember if at any time carrying passengers in open goods wagons as was done early on in the UK's railway history. As far as the price ranges-- should they not be 'pris' rather than class-accomodation specific, like "väldigt dyr" to "väldigt billig", would perhaps be more appropriate, since the prices are separate from the class-accomodation which factor more in the quality and service level of the seats more than the cost-as-such.

The prices/classes is not merely distinguished other than they are called "classes" and "wealth" different places in the GUI. To begin with they where called the same.
The translation of the classes them selfs are just p_class[ x ].
There is nothing preventing one from coming up with a different "class system" entirely, and give the classes names as such.

Giving the classes "price" names is one method like you suggested:

Expensive
Normal
Cheap
Etc

That is very modular and consistent in itself and easy to build upon.

Then I already mentioned classes, but you could have more descriptive classes:

Luxury class
Fine class
Normal class
Cheap class
Etc.

I agree to a minimum of three classes, I am just wondering if that is enough?

Ves

Thinking further about it:

Would there perhaps be a class of people that never had the means of even going on the third class train? Or do we consider the poorest people in our world to be third class people?

Junna

I assume that this is why the British has the third class default price value as "low" (too expensive for the poorest, the "very low", wealth level), unless one lowers the prices enough on the third-class accomodation (initially fourth class open goods wagon). During the later more social-democratic era in the Western world, third and second class were generally merged into a general standard class, and abolition of first class accommodation on most commuter services was widespread. I suppose something similar would work -- this is why I mentioned that the game has separate concepts, the class of accommodation and the wealth level of the passengers generated (set by the buildings dat files).

emirkir

I think three classes should be enough:
(I prefer the bold most)

Luxury class // Lyxklass or Förstaklass
Normal class or Standard class // Standardklass, Normalklass or Andraklass
Cheap class or Budget class // Budgetklass

On SJ trains there's always (not on commuter and double-floor trains) first class (Förstaklass) and second class (Andraklass). That's why I think that's the best, because in Sweden we're used to it :D.

JOIN SIMUTRANS DISCORD-SERVER! https://discord.gg/fpXY772