News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

hogwarts

Started by kittens45, June 04, 2018, 06:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittens45

any plans for the Hogwarts castle of the Hogwarts Express

DrSuperGood

Do you mean the GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall? If so then it can only visit Hogwarts in 2001 when it was physically invented and the engine actually did so. Although no actual Hogwarts exists, there are rumours of companies looking into building a real life Hogwarts. One would be looking at an intro date around 2025 to 2030 however. Currently the pakset lacks mechanics to support the use of obsolete engines for historical and recreational purposes so even if Hogwarts was added I am unsure if it would be economically feasible to run a GWR 4900 to it rather than a more modern electric engine.

jamespetts

I do not think that fictional themed merchandising is really consistent with the aim of Simutrans-Extended, so I have no plans to produce anything like this. I have no idea whether anyone else will produce something of this sort.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kittens45

as a modern day replica Ala a tornado locomotive

kittens45

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 04, 2018, 07:11:27 PM
Do you mean the GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall? If so then it can only visit Hogwarts in 2001 when it was physically invented and the engine actually did so. Although no actual Hogwarts exists, there are rumours of companies looking into building a real life Hogwarts. One would be looking at an intro date around 2025 to 2030 however. Currently the pakset lacks mechanics to support the use of obsolete engines for historical and recreational purposes so even if Hogwarts was added I am unsure if it would be economically feasible to run a GWR 4900 to it rather than a more modern electric engine.

that's exactly I'm looking for even if its just a livery for the existing GWR 4900

DrSuperGood

I guess there would be nothing wrong with a Hogwarts Express livery for the GWR 4900. After all the engine, among many, does disport such/similar livery in real life operation to act as a tourist attraction.

Rollmaterial

That would be a nice Easter egg in my opinion.

Matthew

As an exercise in learning to use Blender, I have reliveried the Hall class model (and accompanying tender) as the 'Hogwarts Express', to the best of my very, very limited artistic ability. I haven't pak'ed it yet, as my efforts to construct a working .dat file have failed so far. But the modified .blend and .png files are available here if anyone wants them.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

kittens45

thanks, that's exactly what I wanted

jamespetts

Quote from: Matthew on June 07, 2018, 02:05:57 AM
As an exercise in learning to use Blender, I have reliveried the Hall class model (and accompanying tender) as the 'Hogwarts Express', to the best of my very, very limited artistic ability. I haven't pak'ed it yet, as my efforts to construct a working .dat file have failed so far. But the modified .blend and .png files are available here if anyone wants them.

Interesting - you have succeeded at the most difficult part but not the easier part. May I ask what difficulties that you are having with the .dat file?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on June 08, 2018, 08:41:27 AM
Interesting - you have succeeded at the most difficult part but not the easier part. May I ask what difficulties that you are having with the .dat file?

There were three differences from the tutorial:
- I've been trying to construct this as an add-on, since you obviously didn't want it in the main download (and I understand that, since the point of Extended is supposed to be greater realism). The tutorial assumes you're building the whole pakset, and I couldn't work out the correct makeobj parameters until the wiki came back up.
- I wasted an hour trying to make this fit into the livery system, before concluding that the feature is incompatible with add-ons.
- There seem to be two different systems being used for images (one using N/S/E/W and one using only numbers), which confused me.

All in all, a useful learning experience.

Anyway, the pak files are now available if anyone ever wants them. The only part that can't be separated as an add-on is the translation text. I will try to make a pull request for this in the main repository.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you for the clarification. The add on system is not something that I have done much with as I have focussed on working on the main pakset. The two different systems for images comes from the fact that one system arises from the old rendering system (before makeobj would recognise transparent pixels) used a different workflow to the new rendering system (which allows for transparency in the images, and therefore does not need the two intermediate processes that were necessary with the old system, but this does result in different image numbering.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on June 16, 2018, 11:22:16 AM
The two different systems for images comes from the fact that one system arises from the old rendering system (before makeobj would recognise transparent pixels) used a different workflow to the new rendering system (which allows for transparency in the images, and therefore does not need the two intermediate processes that were necessary with the old system, but this does result in different image numbering.

Thank you for explaining. I have asked a question about this in a more appropriate thread.