News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Interim city growth rebalancing

Started by jamespetts, June 10, 2018, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I notice that, on the Bridgewater-Brunel server, the number of jobs had been consistently exceeding the population demand for those jobs, resulting in large numbers of commercial/industrial buildings with very low job fulfilment rates (and residential buildings with almost universal 100% commuter success rates).

Until the town growth model is completely reworked, which will be a major job and will have to wait until the completion of other major jobs, which in turn will have to wait for the completion of numerous bug fixes, I have implemented an interim method for fixing this involving actually calculating the monthly job demand based not just on the population but also the number of commuting trips per month and preventing the building of new commercial/industrial city buildings when the imbalance in favour of excessive jobs is too high.
The effect of this is likely to take many in-game years to manifest on the server game, and I do not know how this will affect the fulfilment of visitor demand (albeit this is more flexible), but I should be interested in feedback on how this works for the present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Will this mean that my 2 fish processing buildings that are in the middle of a city but cannot get anyone to work at it, despite housing right next door, will now get some employment? Ever since the city grew very large it has become impossible for those industry to hold enough jobs to run most of the time.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 10, 2018, 06:08:03 PM
Will this mean that my 2 fish processing buildings that are in the middle of a city but cannot get anyone to work at it, despite housing right next door, will now get some employment? Ever since the city grew very large it has become impossible for those industry to hold enough jobs to run most of the time.

It is likely to take a long time for the rebalancing to take effect, sine the patch only affects new growth. I should be interested to see the changes after a few game years, however.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.