News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Canadian mechanical portage

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, June 12, 2018, 04:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ters

I find rotating ship lifts more awesome, as I've mentioned before, simply because they suspend the ships and a lot of water in mid-air. There are a few interesting things about this thingy. One is that there are two sets of tracks on either side, one of which starts sloping down later in order to keep the entire thing level. The other thing is that there is a level crossing with a road. That crossing basically has a mix of three of the four major waytypes Simutrans. Put a seaplane on this thing, and you've got all four.

wlindley

One of these laden with a small ferry carrying a loaded flatbed, could be an airplane on a truck on a boat on a train.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Ters on June 12, 2018, 05:09:22 PMI find rotating ship lifts more awesome, as I've mentioned before, simply because they suspend the ships and a lot of water in mid-air.
"To whom it may concern..."

gauthier

The rotating one is nicely done as the water in one pod serves as an exact counterweight for the little-less water + boat in the other pod.

prissi

Yes, but this is also true for all vertical elevator tub ones, since the weight of an empty tub is the same as with a boat inside (it only depends on the water level). So the German 35m elevator was moved with a 5 kW motor, since it had only to act agains friction.