News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Maglev trains stopping for no reason Britain128PAK

Started by montag, June 23, 2018, 09:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montag

Hello
or
I have encountered weird behavior from Maglev Train. I am playing on a big map with 128Britain Pak. After some hours of gameplay, I made a lot of money and started building quite a lot of MAGLEV lines shipping mail and passengers around. And Maglevs worked fine up to some point in time. But after adding more trains are building more lines weird thigs started to happen.

1. Trains stopping at some stations and not going to the next one for no apparent reason. The train just stops at the station, there is no error, it just doesn't go any further. After game save and reload it goes to the next station without problem, but then the next train is at the same station and the whole situation repeats. When I remove the problematic station, it seems to help, but shortly after another station "catches the bug" and it's the same story. If I do nothing, later trains arrive and because the first train is blocked, then a big queue of trains accumulates and they throw a "stuck" alert.

2. Also similar situation happens when a double track line, has one place when there is only one lane and there are signals at both ends. Train stops before the signal for no apparent reason (the road is clear). Again saving and the reloading the game, temporarily removes the issue.

It  happens only on Maglevs but the reason can be also that I have a lot of maglev. Seems I hit some game limit, when the engine is "loosing" some vehicles and they are stuck. What to do? Or what can be a reason of that

PAK: 128Britain
System: Xubuntu (on quite old laptop)

Simutrans 120.1.3

Thanks

Ters

Before reporting a problem, you should check if it is still there in the newest version of Simutrans, because that is the version we will be fixing anyway. 120.1.3 is two years old. I think there was a problem with vehicles hanging around needlessly at stops around that time, which has long since been fixed.

montag

Thanks for the info

Unfortunately the version I have is apparently the last available for this computer (it is a very old 32bit laptop with xubuntu installed) -  the 120.1.3 is the last available in the repository :/

Ters

Well, if you are unable to use anything but what Xubuntu has in their repository, then we can't help you anyway. Even if we do find out what's wrong and fix it, if we haven't already, you're stuck with what you already have unless you manage to install Simutrans from other sources.

Since there doesn't appear to be any official 32-bit Linux-builds, you'll have to build it yourself, our find someone who knows how to build Linux binaries from distribution. I don't know if the Xubuntu version of Simutrans is modified (I've heard rumors that some distro does that), so that you will have to install everything from scratch, or if you can just drop in a replacement executable (and possibly scripts and localization). Self-compiling on Linux is in my experience easier than on Windows.

There is the possibility that you can avoid the bug by avoiding some feature in Simutrans, but it is difficult for others to help you figure out what that is, if we don't have that problem in the version of Simutrans we are using. In my experience, if I try to run an older version of Simutrans, all my settings get destroyed, so I won't do that. If you have encountered the problem I had a while back, it is waypoints that you have to avoid using.

An_dz

Arch Linux 32 offers Simutrans for 32 bits, though, for unknown reasons, they compile without optimisation flags and with verbose.

Edit:
I asked them but in the end I missed the comment in the PKGBUILD. They have global optimisation flags.