News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Some ideas for future development

Started by emirkir, July 04, 2018, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emirkir

Hi!

I have got some ideas for future development of this pakset, and some things that aren't just right... Don't read me wrong, and I'm not here to shout on anyone or punish! :D
FIRST OF ALL: I think all the trains are very well made, and I wish that everything else should be that well made, so let's get started! :D
(I have a 10 w summer-vacation, so I can help out more often now.)
And I saw that GIMP was free on iPad, more convinient with a touch-pen! GIMP was very bad on iPad...

IDEAS:
-More modern buildings, or upgraded so the old doesn't exist in the 2018's. (When I start to build much faster I'll help you guys)!
-Implement a 110 km/h road with "mitträcke" (the middle fence on the fastest Swedish roads, like European roads) (See attachment)
-Start to make buses, and trucks like: Scania, DAF etc. with liveries like Schenker, DHL for "Styckegods" and Arla for milk, SCA for trees etc.

MISSING:
-Working "roads" for almost all the vehicles except trains and trucks/buses.

Should we start another thread for liveries and stuff so this thread won't grow to a gigantic un-sorted mess?
You guys are the bosses, I'm the new here! :D

I can ofcourse help out, I just recolored some trains and I think I'm getting better, so for example, I can start making buses and stuff.
Is the buses in .pak128 the same as in pakSweden? Then I could use some of those to have a size-template. I haven't seen any buses in .pakSweden yet...

What do you think?

EDIT: If you need more images of real vehicles, I can help out, by taking photos of different stuff. Just tell me what you need and I can provide what I can!

JOIN SIMUTRANS DISCORD-SERVER! https://discord.gg/fpXY772

Ves

Quote from: emirkir on July 04, 2018, 10:43:22 AM
Hi!

I have got some ideas for future development of this pakset, and some things that aren't just right... Don't read me wrong, and I'm not here to shout on anyone or punish! :D
FIRST OF ALL: I think all the trains are very well made, and I wish that everything else should be that well made, so let's get started! :D
(I have a 10 w summer-vacation, so I can help out more often now.)
And I saw that GIMP was free on iPad, more convinient with a touch-pen! GIMP was very bad on iPad...
Hi and thank you :)
GIMP should be freeware everywhere, I use it on my computer with the mouse.

IDEAS:
-More modern buildings, or upgraded so the old doesn't exist in the 2018's. (When I start to build much faster I'll help you guys)!

Yes, indeed more modern buildings are needed! As you might know, I have just touched upon creating buildings, what size they should have etc. I made some "LEGO" buildings (called modular buildings in the sources), which can be combined into a bunch of other buildings, if you want to have a look and learn how to code dat files. I have just made a few proof of concept buildings to see that it works.

-Implement a 110 km/h road with "mitträcke" (the middle fence on the fastest Swedish roads, like European roads) (See attachment)
I stalled upon road building the 110 km\h highway because I couldn't figure out how to do it in a good way:
Normally, you have three lanes in each directions, the two driving lanes, and the emergency lane, which creates an asymmetrical road. In Simutrans that would be impossible to create, since simutrans doesn't know about asymmetrical roads. The solution, I imagine, is to make a symmetrical road, where the emergency lane is very small and the margin on the left side of the road is as big as the small emergency lane, so the road could be used in both directions. However, I never came across to start painting that, since I never was really 100% satisfied with the roads in the first place. Also the exits would need to be considered about how they should look.

-Start to make buses, and trucks like: Scania, DAF etc. with liveries like Schenker, DHL for "Styckegods" and Arla for milk, SCA for trees etc.
Absolutely!
We need to come up with a good scale for road vehicles, so they blend in with both the trains (24 m/tile) and buildings (15-20 m/tile). I would suggest this to be established as fast as possible before too many road vehicles has been painted.

MISSING:
-Working "roads" for almost all the vehicles except trains and trucks/buses.
If you mean rivers, maglev, barrow gauge etc, I believe those are a long way down the line. The next major subject after trains must be roads, and perhaps a sneak of sea and river traffic.

Should we start another thread for liveries and stuff so this thread won't grow to a gigantic un-sorted mess?
You guys are the bosses, I'm the new here! :D
Indeed! As I have only focused on railway traffic yet, I have only made railway specific liveries. Still there are liveries still to be made for the rail, especially newer liveries, but those will come at some point. For busses and trucks (and airplanes and boats etc) we should research who is indeed big in Sweden and go for those.

I can ofcourse help out, I just recolored some trains and I think I'm getting better, so for example, I can start making buses and stuff.
Is the buses in .pak128 the same as in pakSweden? Then I could use some of those to have a size-template. I haven't seen any buses in .pakSweden yet...

What do you think?
Well, the first bus has yet to roll out into the pakswedish landscape :D

You have recolored some trains? What have you recolored? :)

Yes, as noted here and elsewhere, the buses do technically fit this pakset, however, it is unclear if they fit in size (and style, but that is a bit easier to change).
You can take some pak128 busses and try your way out, posting pictures (in a separate "bus" thread so we can easily track it) with results! Don't forget to take note on who originally created the bus so everybody can be credited properly in the end :)

EDIT: If you need more images of real vehicles, I can help out, by taking photos of different stuff. Just tell me what you need and I can provide what I can!
Thank you, I will let you know :)

emirkir

I recolored some trams for the standard pak128, and made them faster because I missed a fast commuter-train there, (every train was expensive and slow, so we can say that I cheated  :D  ;) )

My recolored version ^^^

Original version ^^^

I haven't seen an emergency-lane on Swedish motorways? I'll embed an image here: this is what I mean:

A way to change lanes if it's a double-lane one-way:

And an other way to make a "mitträcke": (avenue lights add-on from japanese forum)

I'll upload the buses later, I have an issue with makeobj/add-ons (see another thread).

I'll make those other threads next week maybe, I don't have access to my computer no longer on this week.
And continue buses/house next week.

I think it's best to focus on trains and road-vehicles for now, (these are commonly used in-game) (I only use other over seas, and to transport passengers).

Just make another thread for my images or PM me if you want me to send some of your needs!

Ves

Quote from: emirkir on July 05, 2018, 03:06:14 PM
I haven't seen an emergency-lane on Swedish motorways? I'll embed an image here: this is what I mean:

That is not a motorway in this sense, that is a 2+1 road (called "motortrafikled"), where there are a total of three lanes, two in one direction and one in the other, changing every few kilometers. Unfortunately, that type of road we also cannot create in simutrans.

What I meant is a motorway/highway like this:

emirkir

Quote from: Ves on July 06, 2018, 04:17:51 PM
What I meant is a motorway/highway like this:

Oh, I forgot that road. Those are not so common in northern Sweden, there's most of those "motortrafikled".
Isn't the 2+1 road just to make a two lane road and an one lane road and make double tile? And using the "avenue mechanic" from above post? (And ofc use one-way (enkelriktat)).

Like this: | : || |

Ves

Technically, yes it's just to do that. However, that is quite complicated to do for a limited benefit. Remember, many of the 2+1 roads where built upon the old, quite broad country road, where there wouldn't fit two lanes in each direction. What incentive would the player have to make road as complex as that from scratch? Not to mention that the player has to micromanage the overtaking rules as well.
Until we can preprogram a road in its datfile which overtaking rule it should use, I'm afraid that we will have to wait with single lane roads.

I think the key is to keep it as simple as possible. I would refrain from anything but highway to be two tiles wide, and I would like everything to be "included" in those two tiles, so one doesn't have to build an extra object to make it appear right.

One day in the future, maybe the roads can change appearance when lying next to another road, or some other similar feature, and then many simutrans cosmetic wishes comes true around the paksets.

Vladki

For motorways - we could easily make a road that has a barrier on both sides, but not only in the middle. If you search the forum history, you may find several attempts at such roads and rails, but I think they were never automatic, and had to be placed carefully by hand. Also the entries and exits from motorway are almost impossible in the current simutrans code (both standard and extended, without regard to pakset). There is a patch that improves overtaking on on-way roads, that is being incorporated to extended - look for OTRP. Also try searching for "avenue" for various attempts at multi lane roads. Anyway this is not something specific to swdish pakset, but requires support in the simutrans engine itself.

What could be done now is to use the fastest road from pak128.sweden, and add the barriers on both sides.

emirkir

Long time since last time, I have had other stuff to do, but now I want to start Simutrans again!
I was just about to paint some buses from my hometown, if someone has tips or else to share!
Just asked the same in the Simutrans Discord server.
Here are the buses I want to make:

The house I started earlier was too boring to make because it was so tedious, (for me), so I wanted to make something funnier...
Hope this goes well. Just a reminder, I wanted to make this primarly to fit pak128 Standard, but if it fits here I'm good to go!

/emirkir