News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[120.3] Linux download missing all assets

Started by Veyrdite, July 14, 2018, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veyrdite

I followed the official instructions on the website.  This required downloading the game (simulinux-120-3.zip) and a pakset.

Problem
The game didn't work no matter which pakset or arrangement of folders I tried:

$ ./sim_mixer_sdl2
Use work dir /home/valentine/games/simutrans/
Reading low level config data ...
SDL Driver: x11
Preparing display ...
Error: Cannot open 'font/prop.fnt'

"Where are these fonts supposed to come from?  I guess they must come from another pakset."

Nope :(

As it turns out: the windows download (simuwin-sdl-120-3.zip) contains all of these base files, but the linux download does not.  It only contains the game binary. 

To a new user like me: this makes zero sense, especially since the install instructions don't mention anything.  I was left assuming the project was dead and abandoned in a broken state like many other free or foss games I try to track down.  I only found the solution by luck.

Suggested Solutions

• Package the base game data along with the Linux version
  • Update the install instructions to include downloading a Windows copy along with the Linux binary
  • Merge the various game versions into a single zip with multiple binaries, so there's only one released item to maintain.

Ters

The previous release had everything in it, so I think it is just that something went wrong with this release.

Interesting that it took so long for anyone to notice, but I guess most of our Linux players either get Simutrans through their Linux distributor (which build Simutrans themselves from source), through Steam, or build it themselves.