News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Help with Mail

Started by accord2, July 14, 2018, 09:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I have been trying to transport Mail for several years unsuccessfully. I created in major towns a inner route for mail to the train station and from there a train takes the mail to and from the city. Almost every train has a mail carriage (unless it is an inner city metropolitan services). Yet, each train doesn't transport more than 4 or 5 mail. I'm still in 1899 so maybe it's related to low inner city speeds, yet those stops have plenty of passengers (the passengers horse carriages are slower). Wasn't supposed Mail to be more important in pre-technology era? Or am I simply doing it wrong?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

One thing that is currently important with mail is what proportion of towns (specifically, what proportion of mail generating buildings) that you actually serve: if this is a small proportion, most of the mail generated (which is fairly small in any event) will go to buildings that your transport services cannot access, and so will not travel.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteOne thing that is currently important with mail is what proportion of towns (specifically, what proportion of mail generating buildings) that you actually serve: if this is a small proportion, most of the mail generated (which is fairly small in any event) will go to buildings that your transport services cannot access, and so will not travel.
That is the theory at least. Unfortunately there is at least 1 bug with mail generation currently.

Under currently unknown conditions having 2 stops 3km apart can generate upwards of 8,000 mail per month between them limited only by transport speed. How this mail is being generated I am unsure, but the fact it is being generated may effect mail generation to other locations.

accord2

And does Mail work like passengers with the  time rule, that is, less regularity less mail?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

DrSuperGood

QuoteAnd does Mail work like passengers with the  time rule, that is, less regularity less mail?
No mail does not care about travel time when it is sent. It does care to take the fastest available route applicable for its class if many are available to its destination but the same amount of mail will be generated between stops if the journey time is 1 second or many years.

Ranran(retired)

I have a question. Does this building generate mail?

There are five classes of passengers but Mail has only two classes in pak128.britain-Ex.
In this building, the Lowest class and the second lowest class are set to 0% but it has a higher Mail demand/output.
However, sometimes mail comes to this building. I am confused...(´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

DrSuperGood

Mail classes have nothing to do with passenger classes as far as I am aware. I think some fraction of mail is generated first class with the rest as lowest class.

ACarlotti

Before February the mail class proportions were being derived nonsensically from the residents' wealth figures. I patched it to generate all classes of mail in equal proportions, which is better than what was there before, though still not ideal

jamespetts

Quote from: ACarlotti on July 15, 2018, 10:22:37 AM
Before February the mail class proportions were being derived nonsensically from the residents' wealth figures. I patched it to generate all classes of mail in equal proportions, which is better than what was there before, though still not ideal

We should perhaps modify this so that the mail proportions can be set in simuconf.tab.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Each building should have different mail class production rates just like for passengers. This is because something like a law office or bank might make more "first class" mail than a grocery shop or garage. The average residential house for the poor in the 1850s might not make any first class mail.

ACarlotti

I agree with DrSuperGood - the mail production rate should be customisable in the same way as the passenger rate. I didn't implement this at the time because it was outside the scope of what I was working on, and I didn't know enough of Simutrans to be able to easily add the feature. It was always my intention that someone would replace my temporary bodge at a later stage.