News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Odd choose signal routes

Started by Rollmaterial, August 01, 2018, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

In the save linked below, the train at the second platform from the north at Fleckesborough Road will be routed through the other end of the station, involving a magic reversing.
.sve: https://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Odd_choose_routes.sve

jamespetts

May I ask what was intended by having choose signals at the end of platforms in this way? They are not intended thus to be used and have not been tested for use in this configuration. The difficulty arises because the route that the train would normally take is not free, but the route backwards is free: the game does not expect a train to have any cause to reverse at a choose signal, so handles the reversing incorrectly.

Are there any significant situations where a signal installation of this sort is of real utility?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

Having another station or sidings right after the station can require a choose signal. The possibility to use an alternative route when leaving a station can also be important to a fluid traffic flow.

jamespetts

This issue will occur only when there is an end of choose sign between the choose signal and the destination platform, as the algorithm used when calculating a route to an end of choose sign is different to the algorithm used when finding a route to a station platform, the latter of which does and the former of which does not allow constraining the route to start in a certain direction.

In what situations is it necessary to have a choose signal at the end of a platform and an end of choose sign along a train's route?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

I recommend looking at the layout of Elsfont Corner station on the Bridgewater-Brunel server. Here is an extensive description of the different design elements:

-The outermost platforms are reserved for non-reversing trains in the respective directions and protected accordingly with one way and end of choose signs. This is to keep traffic flowing in both directions.
-The inner platforms are not restricted and allow trains to reverse. These may also be used by non-reversing trains if the outermost platform is occupied.
-The entries to the station are signalled accordingly with choose signals. The exits feature end of choose signs to allow non-stopping trains to be routed through any free platform.
-There are sidings at both ends of the station for lines with longer waits or that belong to other companies. There are two of them in the north, which means they require choose signals. Odd routings as described in this report have been the cause of one recent deadlock that prompted me to remove the choose signals at the northern end.

jamespetts

I think that I have now managed to fix this by adding a direction test to calc_route that works the same way as the direction test in find_route. I should be grateful if you could re-test with to-morrow's nightly build.