News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

macOS version compilation – may I assist somehow?

Started by meme, August 04, 2018, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meme

Hello, may I provide some assistance with the macOS version? Is seems it is not up-to-date.

prissi

Yes please, none o fthe one who make releases have a mac.

meme

What is needed? SDL2 and? What else? I have forgotten Simutrans's dependencies - it's a while since testing the Steam version. :)

An_dz

bzip2, zlib, freetype and miniupnpc for the stable version.

meme

Sta
Quote from: An_dz on August 04, 2018, 07:20:47 PM
ble = git/svn repository?

jamespetts

If you might be inclined to produce a version of Simutrans-Extended for Mac, that would also be appreciated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on August 04, 2018, 07:20:47 PM

Well, strictly speaking, at least the latter two are not absolute requirements. Leaving them out creates a working Simutrans, just without some of the newest features. I certainly haven't set up the miniupnpc in my build environment, but I know I don't need it since I do not use the multiplayer feature. I don't think I have set up freetype either, but that is more likely to have come bundled or that I've directly or indirectly set it up for something else at some point.

meme

Quote from: jamespetts on August 04, 2018, 09:02:02 PM
If you might be inclined to produce a version of Simutrans-Extended for Mac, that would also be appreciated.
Done. Do I have to download the 400 MB package?

jamespetts

Splendid, that is excellent, thank you!

A question or two if I may: firstly, do you plan to produce automated nightly builds; and, secondly, may I ask where these are available for download? Thank you again for this.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

meme

I could try to make them produce automatically and put them *somewhere*. I do not have such a place (Dropbox maybe; I would prefer not to use neither it nor my own server - I have a very limited bandwidth available). As of now I have the binaries locally only.

PS: These binaries are limited to 10.7 Lion and higher as 10.6 Snow Leopard does not support the AVFoundation API. I would have to make a older (10.10 I think) VM to be able to build a version which would support the Snow Leopard, I do not think is it necessary these days, though. If there is a significant demand for such a legacy version, I could set it up sometime in September (I run on temporary machine now, waiting for 2018 MacBook Pro to be manufactured and delivered).

jamespetts

Thank you for that - that is helpful. From my perspective, I do not think that there is any need to spend much effort producing binaries for out of date versions, but I do not know how prevalent that these are, and the Standard developers might have a different view of the subject.

As to a place to distribute the files, would it help if I were to set up a folder on my server to which I could give you access so that you could upload the Mac versions there?

meme

Sure, that should probably suffice. I might send you the ssh key public key via PM if ssh would be used.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for this - PM sent with details.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on August 04, 2018, 09:16:51 PM
Well, strictly speaking, at least the latter two are not absolute requirements.
Though we are aiming for a stable release to put on our downloads page.

Quote from: meme on August 04, 2018, 07:46:48 PM
Stable = git/svn repository?
Stable is r8504 (Git: a7b09e3)

It's better to use SVN so the makefile can get the revision number automatically. If you prefer not, you will need to add -DREVISION="8504" into FLAGS.

prissi needs to confirm, but I believe the options used for compiling a stable version are:

OPTIMISE = 1
WITH_REVISION = 1
USE_FREETYPE = 1
USE_UPNP = 1

The rest is disabled

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on August 05, 2018, 01:18:00 PMThough we are aiming for a stable release to put on our downloads page.
Yes, but if those two dependencies proved difficult to satisfy, a slightly inferior executable is better than no executable. meme seems to have gotten it working, though.

Quote from: An_dz on August 05, 2018, 01:18:00 PMprissi needs to confirm, but I believe the options used for compiling a stable version are
Revision really should be superfluous for stable releases. It is for telling nightlies apart, as their version number is otherwise identical.

prissi

Revision is important, since it identifies compatible servers. Without revision set, you cannot connect properly (or you could connect, but then the server will kick you off quickly because of mismatches).

Ters

But stable releases of the same version are supposed to be compatible. Even when a release has to be redone, that hasn't normally affected compatibility. And if it has to, one could just as well bump the version number a tiny bit. If revision really is part of the version number, it should really be part of the version number.

TurfIt

I've added the 'legacy' build for OSX SDL2  r8504 to the releases. As it's built on 10.9.5 (latest I can run), it still uses the QTkit as AVFoundation is not available/complete (AVMIDIplayer missing). Supposedly newer OSX versions can still run this, just not compile it. Also, I'm lacking any package/port system, so both freetype and upnp are missing. Unless there's some native install of these libraries I'm missing...

prissi

jamespetts

I notice that the Extended nightly builds have not updated since the 5th of August - was it intended to have these as regular nightlies?