News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Industries and workforce

Started by accord2, August 04, 2018, 04:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I think at the moment it's too hard to keep an industry open because there is always no workers, even if the factory/shop is in a town centre. Do people go by themselves to work? Maybe a way to make it easier?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

DrSuperGood

They actually do go by themselves, but will only walk for ~50 minutes which is slightly larger than a stop. Once the city is bigger than that it will struggle to get employment. This is a known issue that is apparently working as intended?

Even in 1915 I cannot get a fish processing place which needs 700 people well staffed and that is with regular bus services covering the entire city. It will at most get 50 out of ~700 staff, so it is stuck with 60 units of fish it cannot process. Markets and other sellers have a similar problem. Been reported for ages now.

Really remote industries, like a farm or mine in the middle of nowhere, will work normally without staff. The problem is only with not remote industries trying to recruit staff from far away places.

jamespetts

The problem that had been identified some months ago and fixed is that cities would generate more commercial buildings than the population would support, giving rise to so much competition for workers that not enough reached the industries.

Is this still an issue? If so, I will need more details.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

I don't know how the code works and what is others players experience. But for me, industry and commerce had more commuters in smaller towns (medium) than in very big towns or two/three united towns (metropolis as I call them), even in 1800. Maybe because the workers live in the other side of town. Is there a way to make they live in a realistic radius of their working place? This could also be a trouble, since the commuting traffic will be inferior because everyone was near workplaces... I don't know.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

The game does not store or remember where specific workers live, or even keep track of specific workers. Instead, passengers are generated from buildings heading to a random destination, but, if they cannot get to their random destination within their journey time tolerance, generate another random destination a random number of times, and go to the first destination that they can reach within their journey time tolerance.

Can anyone give any details as to the relationship between jobs and population in towns such as might cause problems for industries?
Edit: This is the thread where the interim rebalancing was discussed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.