News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

The Simutrans-Extended server listing seems to be down

Started by jamespetts, September 14, 2018, 12:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I am not sure whether this is just a DNS issue, but the list.extended.simutrans.org address is unreachable and has been for a few days.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

From what I understand it is being migrated to a new server as part of cutting costs. However the person responsible for managing/moving it is currently unable to for a variety of reasons, some well beyond his control. It should eventually be restored in the near future.

Until then I recommend using direct connection to connect to extended servers. If you plan on starting an extended server post a forum topic and provide IP/domain details for people to connect to it.

For example entering "net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk" (without "") into the load game dialog will connect to the main bridgewater server.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I think I have the zone right - list.extended.simutrans.org right? Pointing it to 198.100.147.149 which is the old backup server that's going away on October 5th. But I think it'll be moved to the new backup server, so I'll have to update the IP address then.

I went ahead and created a cPanel account for it to help remember this in case of any future moves, but I'm hoping I'll be working at my job for quite some time and that this will end moves for quite some time...

jamespetts

Splendid - thank you for your assistance with this. I do hope that everything is going well in your new job.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I have some sort of error I'm trying to figure out. It's not yet working. :|

jamespetts

Thank you for seeking to resolve the error - it is much appreciated.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Sooooo, I learned more about nameserver setup today at work! lol.

And http://list.extended.simutrans.org/ should be working again.

Vladki

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 20, 2018, 02:25:27 AM
Sooooo, I learned more about nameserver setup today at work! lol.

And http://list.extended.simutrans.org/ should be working again.
Should I start moving it to new server?

jamespetts

DrSuperGood

Rollmaterial

Vladki

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm sorry, my days off evaporate right now and things fall through the cracks.

I can't get the server up, but what I need to do is make an account on the latest backup server - this one should remain - in part because it's cheaper, too...

I'll get that done either later tonight or tomorrow morning, so within 24 hours from now.

jamespetts

Excellent, that is very helpful.

I hope that all is going well in your new job.

Vladki

Extendend listing server is up again, and the two network games as well

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

Vladki

Seems so. I have asked Isaac if it is lost again. It might be just some mistake in dns.

Vladki

So the server is accessible again, but now we have a problem with the process itself. I crashes when the games announce themselves. Probably due to recent upgrade of nodejs....

mr2cef

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to Simutrans Extended. However I've played quite some standard. Now i was thinking of joining a multiplayer server. But the link i found (http://list.extended.simutrans.org:8080/list) is dead. Could that be?

thanks. And also thanks for doing such a great job with the extended version.

jamespetts

I have merged this post with the other topic dealing with this issue: it is hoped that this problem will be resolved presently.

Vladki

Hi, I managed to fix the listing server. It was due to upgrade of node.js libraries that the server needs:
node-mime 2.3.1-1 (bad)
node-mime 1.3.4-1 (OK)
They have totally changed that library API - they renamed the functions. The problem is even worse that it is not called directly by simlist.js, but by some other library, which was apparently not yet updated...

jamespetts

DrSuperGood

One might have to update the underlying code and referenced libraries for the new API at some stage. Especially if auto updates are rolling it out one might find it becomes more and more difficult to keep using the older APIs.

Vladki

The problem is that I do not know the code of listing server (and I don't know how to code in node.js).
And I was also quite surprised about the updates. It was an upgrade from ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 18.10.
I guess it was not intended, maybe Isaac knows why he upgraded from LTS to bleeding edge version.

jamespetts

This appears to be down again.

As a reminder, players can still connect to servers manually by typing one of the following in the load game dialogue:

net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk
net:list.extended.simutrans.org

(I am afraid that I cannot recall the URL for the Swedish server).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

http://list.extended.simutrans.org/ ?

It's loading for me at the moment. Maybe some problem between you and the server temporarily?

jamespetts

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ah, I see. Unfortunately I know nothing of the setup on that. :(

I'll restart the server just in case it helps - I'm pretty sure that's set to auto-start.

And in fact, it does look like that brought the service back up. I'll be quicker to try that in case of future reports!

jamespetts

Vladki

Thanks for taking care of it. I was not able to tame care of it yesterday evening.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm glad a server restart did the trick - I wouldn't know where to start for the most part after that! :)

Vladki

jamespetts