News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Game crashed - Lost map

Started by emirkir, September 14, 2018, 01:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emirkir

Hi, today my game crashed and it all went gone. I used to save my game by clicking the [X] button besides the - and [ ]. (Windows).
It says "saving map"; then "destroying map". Now it crashed and it didn't load up the game... It isn't with my other savegames. I used to have a map called "temp" and that's the map I've been playing. But it crashed and I cannot find it. (It crashed when I upgraded my HQ too fast...)

Is it possible to get it back?

JOIN SIMUTRANS DISCORD-SERVER! https://discord.gg/fpXY772

DrSuperGood

QuoteI used to save my game by clicking the [X] button besides the - and [ ]. (Windows).
That is not how one saves games... You save games by going to the main menu and pressing save, entering a file name and confirming until it saves. You were relying on an unsafe auto save and resume feature.

Yes it can be relied on to some extent, however you should still regularly make explicit saves during play, and it is strongly recommended to enable periodic auto save with a frequency of every 15-30 minutes.
QuoteIs it possible to get it back?
You can check some of the recently generated save files under Documents/simutrans. If you have any time machine/roll back functionalities turned on you can check if some of the files have a previous version to restore to. If you find such a save, move it to your save folder and try loading it. If not then you are unfortunately out of luck.

emirkir

R.I.P. me then... I'm out of luck...  :-[
I used the autosave because I thought it was convenient because all my "bars" with roads, tracks etc. was where I placed them last time. I think it's a pain to place them out every time when you save. And I actually don't know what the pin beside the X means, if that's something to my issue..
Is there a way to make them stay where they are when loading new games, closing Simutrans etc.?
That was the main reason I used the auto save feature.

Thanks in advance!

DrSuperGood

Most open UI elements should survive save/load cycling. For example if you load a save made when someone joined a sever you are connected with in single player it will have you as the same company you were using and with all the same windows open.

prissi

The autosave on closing explicitely renames the game after loading. Because otherwise it will never be able to start again, if it crashes on loading ... Hence you can only recover this game before starting simutrans again.

And the normal saving does not recover the GUI, since it is ment to be given to somebody else. But in principle, this can be changed.

DrSuperGood

QuoteAnd the normal saving does not recover the GUI, since it is ment to be given to somebody else. But in principle, this can be changed.
On extended the saves generated during multiplayer join by already connected clients (which get instantly reloaded) store the currently open GUI. I think this applies to standard as well?

Perhaps the solution would be a setting "save current UI" or the likes.

prissi

Yes, but this is not added to normal saves. This could be changed.

emirkir

That would be great! Why keep closing them? I believe most of the Simutrans-players prefer the same placements of the UI, like a structure.
So, there isn't a setting to do that now? What's the "pin" for then?