News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[120.4] Can not start with addons

Started by HyperSim, September 19, 2018, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyperSim

Hello,
I start simutrans pak128 with many addons but when the progress bar says "distributing cities" the game crash without any message. (see the video below)
I can start pak128 without addons or play with 120.1.3
I checked setting files and log file but I can't find out what was wrong.

Here's log file. (start with the option "-log 1 -debug 4")
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kckozeOgIuAXKm3hMdAJdehtS8AOc9mn

DrSuperGood

There are apparently a lot of duplicate hashes when it comes to pakset data? Chances are the crash is a result of a corrupt addon file that was previously not being loaded due to less well defined internal ordering. If the pakset loads either a non random generated demo map or a save then it is because one of the records/rows being loaded for some type has changed due to the ordering change such that it is not compatible with the save data and hence corrupts the load stream.

prissi

The sorting feature added vehicles more than once to the hashtable fixed in next nightly

Giziar

Quite possibly related.As I load Simutrans with the addons I have collected over the years I get the following notice:

prissi

This is the new inted warning, which warns you that you have more of one object in your folder and hence it may random (or rather filename dependent) which object overlays which. Also it means those object will not appear in the game as expected.

Giziar

Found the respective files causing the warning. Removed them. Warning gone. Game save that I'm playing now for a few years loads.Game on!

prissi

You can still load the game with this warning (however there was a bug when the objects were overlaid in memory). In the next version to be release today, just type space and continue.

HyperSim

I updated 120.4.1 but failed to start the game.
However, I managed to solve the problem.
I put the same .pak file in both pak128 folder (simutrans/pak128) and addon folder (addons/pak128).
I deleted one of them, then I could start the game.

Ters

I think having objects with the same name in the pak set directory and the add-on directory is a perfectly reasonable thing to have. (Not so much when it actually the same object, but that is not what the game worries about.) The loading order is strictly defined: add-on replaces base pak. Perhaps the add-on provides (subjectively) better graphics for a base object, or whatever. It is having objects with the same name in either the pak set directory or the add-on directory that is problematic.

Of course, if you've overridden some base object with an add-on, you can't join a game with other players that haven't. However, this is exactly the same problem as joining a game with different base pak set and/or add-ons, and should be handled together with that.

prissi

Tzping space or whatever will continue loading the game. Indeed, overlaying pak objects with addons is perfectly fine if intended. Thus there is only a warning, you can normally load the game. If it crashes after that warning, then there is another error.

ACarlotti

In that case the dialogue should have a heading of "Warning" rather than "Error". And perhaps this dialogue should be internationalised.

prissi

Indeed it should be translatable, since the translations are already loaded at this time. And errors are only the header for objects twice in the main pak folder, for addons there shoudl be a warning display header.

Translatable in r8601

HyperSim

Quote from: prissi on September 24, 2018, 12:03:52 PM
Tzping space or whatever will continue loading the game. Indeed, overlaying pak objects with addons is perfectly fine if intended. Thus there is only a warning, you can normally load the game. If it crashes after that warning, then there is another error.

I researched more, and there seems to be another error in my case.
Because the game crashes when building menu according to log file.
I'm not sure but there's too many duplicated objects, the game may crash.
I copied all pak.nippon files to addon folder and start the game, it crashed at the same timing (after the overlay-warning).

prissi

You copied a pak.nippon into overlay? It works fine for me (but you must use 120.4.1!)

HyperSim

Quote from: prissi on September 25, 2018, 02:39:25 PM
You copied a pak.nippon into overlay? It works fine for me (but you must use 120.4.1!)

I copied a pak.nippon in addon folder to make so many dubled objects warning on purpose and start pak.nippon with addons.
Sometimes, I can start the game but sometimes it crashes. (with 120.4.1)
I tried other paksets to recreate the problem, but I only recreated it with pak.nippon.
Well, I'm not sure this bug(?) will cause serious problem to other players...

Dwachs

This warning shows many false positives: We do not need to warn if an object in the base pakset is overlaid by an object in the addons. The warning should only occur if there are objects with same name in base set (or with same name in addons).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Overlaying a base object may be undesired as well. But such things only give warnings, errors are for double objects in the same folder. Maybe we should rather have a switch, and default behaviour should be warning for errors.

But, the problem of crashing by overlaying with addons is something, that is independent of the display ...

Ters

It should be explained why this is a problem, not just that there is a problem and where it is. The reason for error is ambiguity as to which object will appear in the game. The reason for warning is possibly unintentional loss of object from base set. There could perhaps be a way to inform the game that the overlaying is intentional. Some for of whitelist that suppresses the warning. For the error, there is only one solution: ensure that you only have uniquely named object in any given directory, for a given object type.

Vladki

I have hit this "doubled objects" warning too. But I can't close it with neither ESC, SPACE, ENTER or BACKSPACE. However it goes away if I bash them fast and randomly....
Recent nightly, Linux 64 bit.

Dwachs

@Vladki, this should work better with a recent nightly (r>=8610).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Lauscher

[EN] Since I have better pictures everything

[DE] Da hab ich bessere Bilder was alles

Lauscher

[EN] Can not go why is this online? Look for at least once 1 or 2 people testing this version!

[DE] Geht gar nicht warum wird das Online gestellt ? Sucht doch wenigstens einmal 1 oder 2 Leute die diese Version Testen !

Vladki

Quote from: Dwachs on October 21, 2018, 07:49:51 AM
@Vladki, this should work better with a recent nightly (r>=8610).

Thanks, now it works on first hit... ;)

prissi

That check was added recently, because you cannot join online games with these paks otherwise. It is not the fault of the actual game, but some paks are less often released. It will be fixed at the next releases, but for pak128.britain it may take a while. BUT pak128.britain sources are on sourceforge, so why YOU do not do a patch to fix it? Open Source means everybody can contribute (and not just free downloads and rude complaining).

The links in the installer are static, so if a link changes by renaming, this will lead to unsuccessful downloads, and sourceforge sometimes even fail for valid links with random reasons. The installer was tested on the day of the release, and then it worked.

Anyway, I will look into it.

Lauscher

[EN] Bug Fixed the version 128 120.4.1 r8600 is now running very well and compatible!
I try a lot of graphics sets or Adons and I also have many running.
Alternative power Hydrogen power plant from Japan Pak 128 or the biomass power plant.
In addition many vehicles ships and airplanes!
First of all, then it works ...
Thank you again.
Would like to take the big catamarans aud Britain set but they will not go. Because you are in a groups Pak.
Question is this as a single pak file?
Also large transport aircraft from Pak64 are in demand?
So thank you again!
Listener aka Uwe

[DE] Fehler Behoben die Version 128 120.4.1 r8600 läuft nun sehr gut und kompatible !
Ich Probiere viele Grafiksets oder Adons aus und habe auch viele am Laufen.
Alternativer Strom Hydrogen Kraftwerk aus Japan Pak 128 oder das Biomasse Kraftwerk.
Dazu viele Fahrzeuge Schiffe und Flugzeuge !
Erst einmal testen dann geht es auch...
Nochmal vielen Dank.
Würde gerne die großen Katamarane aud Britain Set nehmen aber die gehen nicht. Da Sie in einer Gruppen Pak sind.
Frage gibt es diese als Einzel Pak Datei ?
Auch große Transportflugzeuge aus Pak64 sind gefragt ?