News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Game stop when rotate the camera continuously

Started by Ranran(retired), September 20, 2018, 01:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Hi. (´・ω・`)
Rotating the camera continuously with this map always stops the game. It is a small size map for testing.
Open this saved game and click the map rotate button several times in succession.
This will always happen in this map even with the latest nightly builds, but for my own debug build this message was displayed.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

I looked into this briefly earlier to-day. The problem appears to occur when removing co-ordinates to connected attractions in certain stops in order to rewrite them with the rotated co-ordinates. The actual failure occurs deep in a template class for a hashtable (where it interacts with a memory management system called "freelist") which is not a structure that I understand, as these are low level structures unchanged from Standard, so it is very difficult for me to understand what is happening and why this is occurring.

If this occurs only on some maps, this may have to be treated as a low priority issue for the present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

This error message means either that you are freeing something that was already freed or rather that something was freed which was overwritten with something larger. Freelist is just a faster way to alloc lots of chunk of identical memory size (i.e. trees). It saves a lot memory and is about 3x faster than malloc/free (or new/delete without freelist).

DrSuperGood

Is the freelist thread safe for both allocations and frees? One of the reasons malloc/new is usually so slow is thread safety.

ACarlotti

I think this was caused by modifying a hashtable while it was being iterated over. I've uploaded a fix for this.

I think the precise issue was caused when two consecutive entries in the hashtable were a coordinate and its rotation. This would mean that the element removed a few lines later in the line uint16 f_2 = connected_attractions.remove(k); was the same element that iter was now pointing to. If then latter element were the last element in the bag, then the next time iter were stepped it would run past the end of the bag before checking for equality with the end of the bag. The result is a buffer overread, with iter continuing to step through the rest of the memory until something breaks (all the while adding garbage data to k_list and f_list).

Ranran(retired)

I confirmed that this bug has been fixed.
@A.Carlotti -  Excellent work :thumbsup: Thank you!
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)