News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

I'm confused at signalling

Started by accord2, September 22, 2018, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I know that there are tutorials and that, but still I am having trouble. I made a single line, telegraphic signalling, two rail tracks at station (only at stations) but trains don't go faster than 55km/h, and I'm using telegraphic signalling. They reserve track between stations as normal but something is wrong here.
I'm doing signalling this way: 1 pre signal before station and 1 stop signal at each platform (face different directions). At termini just the choose signal as normal.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

Ves

You need to have a time interval signal after the last point at the station.
In other words, if there is a point between two time interval signals, the signal protecting the point will always show caution instead of clear.

I believe this is a combination of enforcing insecure points in the old days, and that the signalmen doesn't know what direction the point is heading.

However, one could argue that the signalmen knows the position of the points within the first 7 tiles as that is so far the signalmen can see, but that might be a limitation to the code.

jamespetts

You do indeed need to have a signal after the junction: any signal protecting a junction will only display danger or caution aspects (as in reality), and a time interval signal displaying a caution aspect will force the trains to a maximum speed of half line speed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

But now trains don't wait at stations...

jamespetts

I am not sure that I understand that information in isolation. You do need the signals at stations and beyond stations, not just one or the other.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

accord2

I know. So I placed one at platform end and other after junction (both in the same direction) but what is happening is that trains go and stop at the after junction signal. Then the reversed train can't enter the station.

jamespetts

I still do not undertand exactly what is happening from this description. You are making sure, I hope, that the signal after the junction is sufficiently clear of the junction for the train to be able to stop at it without fouling the junction? Also, what do you mean by "the reversed train" here?

Vladki

I think that T-signal (station signal) was meant to solve this problem

accord2

Quote from: Vladki on September 22, 2018, 03:53:51 PM
I think that T-signal (station signal) was meant to solve this problem
And that works? I never used it tbh

accord2

Quote from: jamespetts on September 22, 2018, 03:50:07 PM
I still do not undertand exactly what is happening from this description. You are making sure, I hope, that the signal after the junction is sufficiently clear of the junction for the train to be able to stop at it without fouling the junction? Also, what do you mean by "the reversed train" here?

Okay so now I have two platforms. One stop signal at the end of each one facing different directions. Then after the junction I have a pre signal (the trains are 3 blocks long and the signal is more than 5 blocks away). If I use a stop signal after the junction, the train A (from 1 to 2) stops AFTER the junction and because of that train B (from 2 to 1) can't enter the station. If I use pre signal after the junction it doesn't change anything, that is, the train won't reach its full speed.

jamespetts

Does the pre-signal have a stop signal after it within range?

accord2

jamespetts

Pre-signals only work when they have a stop signal within range after them.

Vladki

Quote from: accord2 on September 22, 2018, 03:57:41 PM
And that works? I never used it tbh
Just put one station signal in the middle of the station. No signals at the end of platforms.

wlindley

Quote from: Vladki on September 23, 2018, 12:27:49 PMJust put one station signal in the middle of the station. No signals at the end of platforms.
Wait, what? I thought signals had to go at the end of platforms?  Have never seen a signal in the middle of a platform In Real Life and can't figure out how that would even work -- the driver could not see it!  Can't believe that is what you actually meant. Please explain.

jamespetts

Quote from: wlindley on September 23, 2018, 03:05:45 PM
Wait, what? I thought signals had to go at the end of platforms?  Have never seen a signal in the middle of a platform In Real Life and can't figure out how that would even work -- the driver could not see it!  Can't believe that is what you actually meant. Please explain.

This is correct: station signals were common in early times (the masts were much taller than more modern signals): one survives (disused) on the Ffestiniog Railway at Tan-y-Bwlch, and there are pictures of these at many stations in the mid-Victorian period. They can also be seen in the time interval/electric telegraph signalling tutorial videos, where their operation is explained.