News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Distinguish between obsolete and outdated

Started by Ranran(retired), September 23, 2018, 06:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Hi. Ranran made a patch. (´・ω・`) 
The purpose of this patch is to distinguish between "obsolete" and "outdated". What's the difference of these words? I don't know... :-[
I am not good at English, so my intention is not sure that "obsolete" and "outdated" are correct. Please advise. (Also translatable text.)

My intention of "Outdated" is:
The successor model appeared or production is stopped, but they are still healthy and can keep on active, and maintenance costs have not yet increased.

In Extended, there are states, the one is the vehicle just stopped production and the other is the state further time has passed and obsolescence has started (then maintenance cost increases). Currently I think both of these are expressed by the word "obsolete".
Standard does not need this distinction because there is no element of aged deterioration. However, I think Extended needs this distinction.

Concrete example:
This patch separates the "Show obsolete" checkbox that is currently in the depot window into "Show obsolete" and "Show outdated".

I think "outdated" still has room for selection when purchasing.
For example, in the image above, new model list show only one type of diesel locomotive, but you may want to buy a little old but small and economical diesel locomotive.
However, rarely people think to buy an ancient locomotive whose maintenance cost has increased.

And I changed the status color bar to distinguish them.
The useful point is that you can check at a glance whether the vehicle you own is "obsolete" or not.
If it is displayed in dark blue, it means that the maintenance fee is increasing, so player is recommended to take some action if player had them.
The royal blue one, there is no hindrance even if you still use.

Both are displayed in dark blue without distinction so far.

(I thought to use a color intermediate between DARK_GREEN and DARK_BLUE to show that it is a process from new product to obsolete, but DARK_TURQUOISE and BLUE were similar in color to the new product and obsolete and it was difficult to distinguish them, so I added new color COL_ROYAL_BLUE.)

How about this idea?
Here is my github branch.
This has not been completed yet, and by extending allow_buying_obsolete_vehicles setting this change needs to add a distinction to load saved game by revision. But I did not understand the specification of the revision thing... (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

That is helpful and interesting, thank you. In addition to the load/save revision, you will of course need to complete the translation texts data file.

As to the load/saved game revision, what you will need to do is increment the #define EX_SAVE_MINOR line in simversion.h by 1, and then use

if(file->get_extended_version() >= 14 && file->get_extended_revision() > [THE NEW VERSION])

where [THE NEW VERSION] is the number to which you have incremented the definition in simversion.h.

I hope that this helps.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Thank you for the advice. This is a great help. I think that it went well.  :)
I committed the update on my branch and threw a pull request.

The allow_buying_obsolete_vehicles option in simuconf.tab is expanded.
(In the case of pak128.britain-ex, you need to edit the pakset folder's one.)

allow_buying_obsolete_vehicles = 2
In this case, "Show obsolete" checkbox will not be displayed, but outdated vehicles can be purchased.
If it is 1, you can purchase all as before.

I attach .dat file for Simutranlator.
Please rewrite the translation of English if necessary.
Note that the meaning of "Show obsolete" will change so far. :warning:

Thank you. (´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Thank you very much - that is most helpful. Now committed with some minor amendments.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)