News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Median Town Population Stuck

Started by accord2, September 25, 2018, 11:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

Okay, so I was testing different map settings and I used a median town population of 10. Now, I changed it to 100, 800, 900, and 1000 yet when I create a new map with the new values of town population, in game cities will keep to use the 10 median town population. For example a big city will have no more than 200 habitants.
PS: I edited the files so a month is 24H maybe its that?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

accord2

I have found what I think it's the problem.
The base_meters_per_tile if I set to 7500 (with the bits per month and meters per tile modded to give 24H) it creates a very low number of population per building, like 1 or 2 people per house. If I set it to 1000 keeps giving a small number of population in relation to the city size. But I tried using the name meters per tile and base meters per tile value and population looks a bit better but even too weird. Eg: a 100 sq. km city with 8,760 habitants. And probably this value of base meters per tile will cause other problems in game play?
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I do not recommend adjusting the meters per tile setting unless you are a pakset creator/maintainer, as a very large number of other values are calibrated to the pakset's default meters per tile setting.

Town growth is an area that needs to be rewritten completely, but that will have to wait until the planned maintenance features are implemented, which will in turn have to wait for some bug fixes; the code that deals with this will need to be redone entirely at that stage.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ACarlotti

Quote from: jamespetts on September 25, 2018, 10:13:55 PMI do not recommend adjusting the meters per tile setting unless you are a pakset creator/maintainer, as a very large number of other values are calibrated to the pakset's default meters per tile setting.
I thought the intention was that all values would scale appropriately? Although I suppose that's not actually possible for the number of transported passengers since road and vehicle sizes don't scale the same way.

jamespetts

Quote from: ACarlotti on September 26, 2018, 09:49:34 AM
I thought the intention was that all values would scale appropriately? Although I suppose that's not actually possible for the number of transported passengers since road and vehicle sizes don't scale the same way.

A number of things do scale automatically, but this does not work for every aspect of calibration (although the complexities of this are so great that I cannot immediately remember what does and does not scale automatically).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

How big of an impact do small changes of less than 10 meters per tile have, though? I am playing with 118 meters per tile at the moment.

jamespetts

Changes of that magnitude will probably not cause serious problems, especially since full economic balance has yet to be achieved, although this has not been tested.