News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Questions about official add-on

Started by TenukiSharyo, November 20, 2018, 07:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TenukiSharyo

Hello. I have a question about add-on production.

If I made a new add-on based on the official addon of "simutrans pak64", is not it allowed to post as the same name as the original add-on?
I am concerned that the length of official add-on of train is different from the actual rosters and the position of those images is out of position...
I'm looking for spec of trains written in the following thread.
If you know, please let me know.
What are the spec of these vehicles?

prissi

The only concern is, that if it replaces an addon, then one cannot join network games using the official addons. However, networkgames usually do not use addons at all. Hence, just do what you think is best. Addons are rather without rules.

Ters

pak64 isn't an add-on, it is a pak set. One can make add-ons for pak sets, that add extra optional things. Users can then install whatever pak sets they want for that add-on. However, add-ons must usually be tailored for a particular pak set. The tile size must match. The visual style and economics should match, or else it would just look and feel alien. Players playing multiplayer must have the exact same pak set and add-ons.

Creating a pak set with the same name as an existing pak set, or an add-on with the same name as an existing add-on will just confuse players. If you want to be nice, you should not do that. It is however possible to use a derived name for a derived pak set. And all pak sets with a 64 pixel tile size are usually called something containing pak64.

TenukiSharyo

Thanks for reply.

As a result of seeing your answers, I decided to post the completed add-on.
The change point is only the appearance and "length", I think that the influence when introducing it is minimal.

However, as Ters says, confusion may occur. Also, if only add-on's appearance changes but the other add-on does not change, the add-on becomes irregular after all...
If problems arise, I am going to delete that add-on.

(https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,17108.msg176658/topicseen.html#msg176658)

prissi

Length may be an issue, if things become long, because full load at station may not work (because not loading the last carriage). Otherwise if you thing things are wrong, or are interesting in contributing directly to pak64, I would happy to make you the future maintainer of pak64. It has not been actively maintained for a long time, just the basic neccessities. And some new feature are completely absent.

TenukiSharyo

Oh, thanks for pointing out. I didn't consider to proturde from the platform...
Based on that problem, I added same length ("length=8") add-on as the base it.
(https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,17108.msg176658/topicseen.html#msg176658)

And sorry, I'm happy with the teaser but I don't considered I'm pak64's maintainer.
Because I think I'm just one addon creator, and the addons I created are for additional purposes only.

However, perhaps I may make similar add-ons based on your pointed out in the future.
I'm selfish and sorry ::'(

prissi

Honestly anybody who puts in more than 20 hours per year on pak64 is a better maintainer than me ... I should rather apologize.

Ters

pak64 is open source, so other people can suggest changes if they want. Unlike Simutrans itself, there does not appear to be a backlog of suggested patches, nor an endless list of feature requests. In fact, I have an impression that feature request for pak64 get resolved quicker than for Simutrans. That pak sets much easier can be adjusted by third party add-ons probably accounts for less need for changes in the pak set itself. pak64 might also be less popular by opinionated players.

My only issues with pak64 is a few instances of misaligned graphics, a bit of questionable balancing and the recently resurfaced fishing sloop issue (which isn't in pak64 itself, but in the official food add-on for pak64).