News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Crash when using underground power transmission lines

Started by tubanonymous, November 25, 2018, 02:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubanonymous

Ground level powerlines and bridges for powerlines work fine. Underground transmission lines can be built--in a straight line and using terraforming to build the tunnel without entering underground view. However, editing or branching of from this tunnel will crash the game. Ctrl click to build tunnel crashes game. Building underground transformer crashes game.

On 64bit, latest edition. Multiple save games, not much on the map.

BTW I love how electricity has become a slightly bigger part of the game in extended

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. I am afraid that I am having trouble reproducing this. I am able to build and edit power line tunnels and underground substations without error. Can you let me know what pakset that you are using and give me a saved game and precise steps reliably to reproduce this problem from the saved game?

I should be most grateful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

tubanonymous

Will you let me know if you can open the savegame? 128britain

The transmission line on top is what you can do. You can build ground level transmission lines and transformers, and tunnel in straight lines (essentially, any building of tunnels done in above ground view will not crash the game)

The transmission line on bottom is what will crash the game. You cannot extend the tunnel or build an underground transformer. I misspoke earlier, ctrl+click will *not* crash the game. Extending a tunnel once ctrl+click has been used *will* crash the game.

Btw, your signalling videos are really fun. Looking forward to when you make the next one

jamespetts

I am still having trouble reproducing the crash, I am afraid: I have been able to build some underground power lines using the underground power line tool: see the attached file. Can I ask exactly what tool that you are using on exactly what tile that gives rise to a crash?
I am glad that you like the signalling videos, incidentally - but I will have to focus on fixing the very difficult loss of synchronisation bugs and some other issues before I will be able to produce more, although more are planned.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

tubanonymous

Hmmm, very strange. Try building a powerline tunnel, then holding ctrl as you edit/expand the tunnel in underground view. This is what is consistently crashing it for me. Seems like if I dont hold Ctrl while im building underground powerlines, the function works fine.

The issue seems to be not tile specific for me

jamespetts

Thank you for that: I was able to reproduce the error when holding CTRL. You do not need to hold CTRL when building underground ways: only when building tunnel entrances. I have, however, now pushed a patch that will prevent the game from crashing if somebody does by mistake press CTRL when building underground ways.

tubanonymous

Cool!

So typically when you build a way, and you hold Ctrl, does it not force the track to be build "as the crow flys?" Obviously the game is still very much playable not being able to use this feature on underground transmission lines, but I do use this feature a lot, especially when building underground ways. Or is there something Im missing about the feature?

Rollmaterial

It's true that underground transmission lines are built "ctrl-straight" by default, however I would consider that an inconsistent user interface.

jamespetts

You can easily build them without holding down CTRL at all.