News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Article 13 of the EU vs Simutrans forum?

Started by ROCAMBOLER529, November 28, 2018, 05:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCAMBOLER529

Hi comunity:

If you dont know, recently (and some month ago too) the EU announce that every social media will be added a copyrights right to evade copy of names or symbols without permission, so... IS This affect in some point the Simutrans Forun, the Simutrans.com or the Simutrans-germany.com?? (i called the photo uploader) i hope that not and the Simutrans isnt copying rights of anything, just in case of well... The worst
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

Leartin

The big thing with Article 13 is not a change in what is copyrighted and what you are allowed to do with copyrighted material, it's that websites will be responsible.
Basically, before, if you uploaded copyrighted material on a website, you broke the law. The website pretty much did not care, and might delete it once it was demanded by the copyright holder.
With Article 13, if you upload copyrighted material on a website, you still break the law, but not the website breaks the law as well if they just let you. Hence they would try to stop you.

It's not actually as bad as it is hyped to, I think the hype mostly comes from Americans who did not know that their precious "Fair Use" never existed in other parts of the world, and of course from companies like YouTube who have to actually delete all those brand new subbed anime episodes straight from Japan instead of earning millions in ads from them...

Flemmbrav

Heyo!
Serious question; who the fck watches anime on youtube? Already feel sorry for the people, maybe article 13 will change their world to the good.

I don't think article 13 (btw is the text of it final by now? or are the still talking about the exact phrasing? ) will change this forum that much besides mods beeing annyoed once a month with an extra image to delete or so.

DrSuperGood

Actual problem with YouTube is scammers who use robots to get paid content permission and then upload thousands of duplicate pirated movie and serial content that has purposely been sound and image tampered with to avoid automatic detection so that they can farm large amounts of add revenue. Where as it takes the robot owners 1 man hour (not factoring in standing costs) to generate dozens such accounts, each one has to be investigated by a real person working for YouTube and then processed.

This is why I think it is bad. The moderation costs for free content become so large that it may no longer be viable to keep them free. God help you if you are a 3 person hobby web site that is reasonably popular and starts to get abused. YouTube alone would likely need 10,000s of people in Europe just to process videos.

Ters

It is a battle between content producers and the Internet that can not be won, but which neither side can afford to lose, I think.

jamespetts

This is undoubtedly among the most totalitarian legislation passed anywhere in western Europe since the end of the second world war. Those who are responsible for it are deeply, deeply evil.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

I read a comment, that the EU legislation is not affecting not-for-profit sites, since the EU cannot regulate with this article something like the private right for free speech, which is even further up in EU legislation. So if you are not aiming for profit, then you have no gain from illegal content. For those websites nothing changes, they have to delete content only if they are noticed that something is illegal.