News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Saving map danger...

Started by ROCAMBOLER529, November 30, 2018, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCAMBOLER529

Hi community:

Recently playing Simutrans i was testing the new version if the game 120.4.1 and i tried i save it. In the middle of the saving i noticed that i intentionally save the map in a wrong folder and this new map replace a map that i lost a map that i started 1 year later. Losing a 235 simutrans year of progress i decided to ask in the community if anyone can add a sign if the player is sure that he/she want save a game in that folder. So... Why not add a sign that i said "Are you sure that you want save a game in "#name_folder"?

Sorry of my english.
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

Ters

All Simutrans games are stored in the same folder/directory, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Simutrans does not have support for confirmation dialogs. In most cases, they are difficult to do right.

There are many ways to lose your Simutrans save games. I therefore suggest a solution that helps solve all of them: regularly take backup of all your files. There are two kinds of people: those who have lost data, and those that are going to.

ROCAMBOLER529

Quote from: Ters on November 30, 2018, 08:10:17 PM
All Simutrans games are stored in the same folder/directory, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

For example: you are playing a Simutrans world called "B" and you wanna save it. You open the "Save game" buttom but intentionally you press the "A" that contains another Simutans world in case of "B", so you lose the previous world on "A" folder because you replaced one with the new version of "B" and you have another folder called "B" without the recentlys changes. Finally you have those folders:

"A": you lost the older map and its replaced with the changes of "B" world, because you save "B" in this folder
"B": you have the version of the same world but you didnt have the changes that you did recently because you saved it on "A" folder.
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

Ters

If you click to overwrite save games you overwrite save games. That is what I usually do, so a confirmation dialog would be a bit bothersome. But every once in a while I copy all my saved games to another folder/directory (in fact, a directory on a completely different machine) that Simutrans doesn't know about. So even if my computer catches fire, I will only lose a few hours of playing.