News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Same shift all stations

Started by accord2, December 02, 2018, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

In my game, if I select  "Use same shift for all stops" or if I don't select it, the shift continues to be the same for all stops, except in the second square (smaller time shift square).
I have today's nightly built.

Save file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/avked92jem1rnj0/Shire%201863%205.sve?dl=0
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

I am not sure that I fully understand - my apologies. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the second square"?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

In blue is the value that is the same for all stations (even if I say no at the select box) and in red is the value that only is the same if the box is selected.

jamespetts

If you uncheck the "use same shift for all stops" checkbox, you can change the shift for each stop independently. If that box is checked, changing the shift value in the box changes it for all stops; if unchecked, it changes it for only the currently highlighted stop.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

The box that you have marked with red is the "shift" value, and hence the value that might change from station to station if the "use same shift for all stops" are unticked. The box that you have marked with blue is the "departure per month" value (which you have set to 6 in your screen shoot, so 6 trains should pass any given point on the schedule each hour) which is another thing than "shift", and should always be the same for all stops in the schedule.
The "shift" value is the value that determines how much later the convoy should depart from a station compared to the default departure (which in your case is every 1:03:59, starting at 0:00:00 o'clock if the shift value is 0 for that station).

accord2

Yes I know. Wnat I am trying to say is: when I uncheck the *use same shift for all stops" the shift continues to be the same. Eg: the box is uncheked, I select shift 6 for Hazelshire but it I use shift 7 for St. Catherine, Hazelshire is going to change to shift 7. If I change the shift in one station, all the stations get the same shift, even with the box uncheked.

Ves

Azuming you are talking about the "6" in the left hand combo box in the screenshoot? that is not the "shift" value, but the "departure per month" value.
The "shift" value are the right hand combo box, and is the value the one that is tied to the checkbox. In your screenshoot you have a shift value of 0.

accord2

ACarlotti

It is not a bug, although I can imagine an argument for changing the bahaviour (although not precisely in the manner your stated).

The intention is that you can design a timetable for a line in which a number of trains follow the route of the line at regular intervals, with this spacing being controlled at some of the stops (those with "Wait for time" selected). If the spacing intervals were set to different values at different stations, then eventually those stations with a smaller spacing interval would run out of trains that are ready to depart at the specified interval (because a station with a larger spacing interval would not be sending trains quickly enough). This does not fit the original design, and thus is not permitted in the schedule gui.

However, I can envisage a scenario in which having different frequencies at different points in the line would be useful. Consider two passenger services (using separate tracks) running at frequencies of 5 trains per month and 6 trains per month. We now want to add a freight service that shares parts of the railway that these two passenger services use. To avoid disrupting the passenger services, we want to fit the freight service into the gaps between passenger trains. We could do this for the first service by setting a timetable to run at a frequency of 5 trains per month, offset from the timetable that the passenger trains are running to at that point. This timetable doesn't reflect when we expect trains to run every time, but rather a set of slots in which the freight trains are allowed to run. However, we cannot then do the same thing for when the freight service uses track that is also used by the second passenger service, because that is running to a different frequency.

If you are wishing to do something like the scenario I just described, then I think the way to enable this should be to add a second tickbox to the gui that allows setting a different number of slots per month for different parts of the route. Another useful option could then be the maximum time by which a train could be late for its slot before it is assigned to the following slot instead. So for a freight service using gaps in a passenger line that permitted lateness would probably be 0, but for a scheduled bus service it should probably be considerably higher (maybe half of the interval between busses, or the entire interval between busses).

Oh, which reminds me: I think it might also be useful to have an option to aim for a specific departure slot relative to the departure slot from the previous wait point. This would help to avoid situations like a shipping line where the interval between ships is less than the loading time, and the ships end up departing late for an earlier-than-intended departure slot at one of the line, and then waiting ages at the other end.

accord2

hmm before I could have different values for different stations, that's why I thought this was a bug :/ oh well, sorry for the wasted time!  :-X

jamespetts

ACarlotti - thank you for your thoughts - that is most helpful. That is an interesting idea for enhancing the scheduling system (one query would be how, if not all the slots are to be used, we know when the services are running on time, both for GUI purposes - those with late running services are displayed in teal in the line management window, but also for detecting when a convoy should be put on its way immediately on the assumption that it is late rather than waiting for the next slot), although I should note that coding time is currently more or less unavailable for anything other than fixing the loss of synchronisation bug and given the queue of things to do at present, is unlikely to be available for any new ideas for many years, unless someone else were to code these things.