News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Please help, please. Rail and other transport toolboxes no displaying.

Started by MattGosford, December 04, 2018, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattGosford

After playing this game for months, I now get these display with a click on the rail and other transport tools. What can I do.? It came out of nowhere

Screen-Shot-2018-12-05-at-6-32-31-am" border="0</a>

ACarlotti

What is the current game time? Is it possible that you are too far in the future for any buildings to be available?

ACarlotti

If I understand the code correctly, then everything that doesn't have a retire date set explicitly is given a default retire date of 2999 (meaning the beginning of 2999). There probably won't be any explicit retire dates after this point, so after 2999 I think the game effectively becomes unplayable. There might be a way to change the game year to an earlier date, or to switch off the using the timeline, but I'm not sure how you would do either of those for an existing game.

MattGosford

So I  can switch that off in the settings? How do I do that? After playing this game and investing in networks, Im really disappointed I can't play it anymore.

Leartin

Headcanon: In the year 2999, the technological singularity happens. With this, humanity Simuthanity ascends to a higher sphere, continuing their existence as mere entities of light with no physical body. Thus, "transportation" and "goods" lose their meaning, as does the creation of rail networks. Hence starting 2999, nothing changes in the physical world anymore.

You can turn off the timeline (for a higher existence, time is but another dimension to move freely in), though it requires enlightened methods. The settings menu does not open for mere mortals while in play. Thus you shall edit the menuconf.tab to include "dialog_tool[27]" to reach this holy grail. A sneaky deceiver might attempt to cheat the celestial order by changing settings while creating a new dimension, but returning to the old one before the deed is done.

(that's pak64 right? I attached an altered menuconf.tab that includes the settings menu, if you replace the original you can call the settings with the "$" key in game, and change the "use_timeline" parameter. Please create a backup of your map beforehand, and don't use the power granted to you for evil be aware that most of those settings were never meant to be changed mid-game and may cause trouble.)

Ters

It doesn't look like pak64. Some other 64-sized pak perhaps.

The thing is, that by 2999, Simutrans can't really know what's supposed to be. Strictly speaking, by 2019, Simutrans can't really know what's supposed to be.

Leartin

Quote from: Ters on December 05, 2018, 06:49:03 AM
It doesn't look like pak64. Some other 64-sized pak perhaps.
Right, the toolbar looks more like pak128. Which has already mapped the settings to "$" as far as I know.

Quote from: Ters on December 05, 2018, 06:49:03 AMThe thing is, that by 2999, Simutrans can't really know what's supposed to be. Strictly speaking, by 2019, Simutrans can't really know what's supposed to be.
Pak96.comic uses fantasy vehicles. Paks like Excentrique, SciFi and Contrast do not fit in the regular timeline. I have yet to see a pak that is actually historical, which is kinda hard by itself since Simutrans is not made to deal with it*
But besides that, it's just a bad expierience if the game does not do what you expect it to do, in this case, end for no good reason. I think it would be a good idea if the displayed time and the time checked for availability could be unhinged from one another. This would allow a new timeline mode "stuck in time", where you can play with steam locomotives indefinitelly, but also the game could switch to that mode in the far future automatically, removing the end in 2999.

*Some clarification: Simutrans has no destructive force, it never gets rid of things on demand. Say you want to add a bunch of red flags to buildings in 1933 for historical reasons. You cannot have the old buildings gain those flags, only new buildings would have them. And those would not get rid of them at once in 1945, but keep them long after. Buildings only ever upgraded, never downgrade, so either a crater has somehow more people living in them then the house that once was there, or it just can't be done.
Simutrans is not supposed to be a historic game, and I'm not sure anyone would really want that, so this isn't a complaint as much as a statement. Though I can use the occasion to shamelessly plug an old request that would enable this: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,17304

prissi

Congratulation, you are the second person to ever reached this date and reported it on the forum. (However, the first was even before fast forward existed, and thus required about 160 days of continues game play. And simutrans crashed due to timer overflow.

So press $ and then in the second tab (I think) switch off timeline, and save the game under new name. Quit simutrans and load the game, and all vehicles and everything should be there again forever.